You should have your Inquiry Question chosen.
Review the appropriate pages in your textbook that are relevant to your question.
Begin looking for primary sources that are relevant to your question.
Reactions through political cartoons:
|Cross Roads||Uncle Sam Kicked Out||The Situation||Too old to be caught with chaff|
|Cut her adrift how dare you||Mother Britannia and Uncle Sam||Uncle Sam and his sons|
Worksheet: Political Cartoon Analysis
Reactions in writing:
NB: Confederation 1867 & Post-Confederation
QUE: Anti-Confederation Reaction
Evaluate the quote below with reference to the Rebellion of 1837, the American Civil War, and the situation in Canada prior to Confederation.
“it was only by a happy concurrence of circumstances, that we were enabled to bring this great question to its present position.”
John A. Macdonald, 1865
Create your essay:
- Create your thesis – is John A MacDonald’s quote correct? How much of it is correct?
- Introduction – Present the quote and explain what it means. Also, summarize the context of the 1860s and why MacDonald would be saying something like this. State your thesis at the beginning or end of the intro paragraph
- Body paragraphs – One paragraph each for the Rebellion of 1837, American Civil War and the Situation in Canada, explain the causes and consequences, explain how the consequences relate to the thesis
- Conclusion – restate your thesis and summarize the main arguments of each body paragraph. Conclude with why this is all important to Canada today.
- Save your essay as either a *.docx or *.pdf file with your name in the file name
- Upload to hand-in folder on Virtual Chan website to your appropriate block (password: socials9)
- Essay needs to be uploaded by the end of the block
*Essay will not be marked if instructions are not followed
For Essay #2 Organizer, complete Part 2 #1 and #2 (definitions)
Complete Part 1 #1-5 of Essay #2 Organizer
Use Word to write your answer to the Essay #1 question: To what extent did the Rebellion of 1837 achieve responsible government for Upper and Lower Canada?
Create your essay:
- Come up with a thesis – should be a one sentence statement that answers the essay question.
- Introductory paragraph – state your thesis & explain the causes of the Rebellion of 1837 (Part 1)
- Body paragraphs – for each consequence (Part 2a-c), create a paragraph that defines the consequence, then explain how much responsible government is given because of the consequence (justify your assessment).
- Concluding paragraph – restate your thesis, summarize your assessment of each body paragraph, and state why the Rebellion of 1837 is important to Canadians today.
- Upload your Word file to a Dropbox account
- In Dropbox, click on the “share” button next to your essay file
- Share the file with email@example.com
- Must be shared before the end of the block
*Essay will not be marked if the hand-in instructions are not followed!