Community Mapping Pt 4:
- find examples of:
- 4 spheres
- interactions between 4 spheres
- which examples of interactions have positive or negative effects on humans?
Community Mapping Pt3:
- Observe and report on:
- Observations of Ecosphere, Technosphere and Sociosphere
- Good interactions and bad interactions?
Read “Rediscovering Geography” – Chapter 3, page 34-36
Community Mapping Pt 2:
- Observe and report back on:
- Examples of movement (goods, people, ideas)
- What are the local, regional and world effects of the movement you see? (scale)
- How would you define your region? Explain.
- Good and the bad?
Read “Rediscovering Geography” – Chapter 3, page 32-34
- Observe and report on:
- Record human and natural characteristics – explain what is natural or human about each image
- What makes your region unique/ different from the others?
- What are you happy and unhappy with that you’ve seen? Explain why.
Read “Rediscovering Geography” – Chapter 3, page 30-31
a) Download the Cypress Hiking Map
b) Figure out the following:
- What are the contour intervals of this map?
- What is the scale ratio of the printed map when viewed at 100%?
- What kind of valley does Cypress Bowl sit in?
- What kind of valley does the Trans Canada Trail go around?
- What is the highest elevation the ski lifts can take you to?
- What is the approximate elevation of the top of Raven Ridge chair lift? (figure out the partial elevation)
- Create a profile drawing of a straight line from the bottom of Eagle Express chair lift to Eagle Bluff.
- Find the slope of each section of your profile drawing.
- Which slope is steeper, western cliff of Eagle Bluff or western cliff of Donut Rock? What are the two slopes and what is the difference?
- Rank the trails based on difficulty: Baden-Powell Trail, Trans Canada Trail, Old Strachan Trail, Hollyburn Mountain Trail, Howe Sound Crest Trail, Sunset Trail
a) Go to geoplanner.com
b) Use the WPT (waypoint tool) to mark locations to figure out:
- What is the lineal distance from Riverside to PoCo City Hall?
- What is the lineal distance from Riverside to Terry Fox Secondary?
- If we were to start at Pitt River road where it crosses the Coquitlam River and follow the PoCo Trail to the Lougheed Highway, how far would we be walking?
If we took a boat up the Coquitlam River instead, would it be farther or shorter than the PoCo Trail? What’s the difference in distance?
- What is the approximate area of Downtown PoCo?
What is the approximate area of Colony Farm Regional Park? (Use the green areas)
- Please complete this form
- For tomorrow, please download the following file and read Chapter 3, pg 30:
Read Pg 226-236:
- Sketch the results of your soil texture lab with the percentages of each particle size. Use the soil texture pyramid on pg 227 to find out what type of texture the soil is.
- Based on the soil texture from question 1, what types of plants would thrive in these soils? What would need to be done to make the soil appropriate for agriculture?
- Explain how climate (precipitation and temperature) affects soil types and how that affects plant adaptation.
- What type of soil would you expect to find here in BC? Explain the properties of the soil and soil profile you would expect. What other countries share the same soil type/profile?
- Name the types of soils natural to Canada and where they are. What needs to be done to each to make it suitable for agriculture?