In our class. we made a newspaper article related to the story On the Sidewalk Bleeding – a story about a young man named Andy who was a member of the Royal group and now in the brink of his death.
Click here for the document.
- Part 1: Mutation Story
I’m achrondoplasia, I’m a mutated gene in James’ body. His dad is the one affected by an another achrondoplasia. His gene being the dominant one, there was a chance that their child might be affected by the disorder. It was passed in James’ body. I’m what you call dwarfism. I’m a mutated gene that causes a person to be short. It was a good thing that James’ mother did not have this disorder as well, since if both of the mutated gene was passed to my host, its likely that he will not live for more than a few months after he was born. Being an infant, he survived many things such as death. An infant having the gene disorder dwarfism has a very high chance to die. My host is a strong-willed child. Even though sometimes he was being bullied because of being like a dwarf, he stayed strong.
- Part 2: The Making of the Mutation Story
1. What questions did you need to research in order to create your mutation story?
• What genetic disorder is in the host’s body?
• What caused the mutation? Was it passed or did it just occurred by some accident?
• What effects did it do to the host’s body?
• What is the story of the host? How are they affected? Negative? Positive?
2. What new or familiar digital tools did you try to use as you worked through this project?
• I did not use any new tools since it wasn’t needed.
3. What was the process you used to investigate the topic?
• Ask, Acquire, Analyze.
4. How did you verify and cite the information you found?
• I found facts and used information from Wikipedia and skimmed through the other sites that can prove the facts I read.
5. How did the process of completing this challenge go? What could you have done better?
• It’s not completely that challenging. It was a bit hard since you had to research things. I could’ve done better by using a few more information and a few more parts for the story.
Click here for the actual article.
Click here for Emma Watson’s full speech.
- What is this article all about? Who does it involve? Why did you choose this article?
This article is all about feminism. Emma Watson is the main person involved. It is about ‘feminism’ but after reading Emma’s speech, I’ve come to think that what her message is like humanism in my point of view. After all, not only did she mention how unfair it is for girls, she also mentioned of how unfair it is for guys too. She also talked about that the guys should participate in this, too. Also, about how many society issues is because of gender inequality. In her speech, she also spoke about how did the feminism changed throughout the years. She said that feminism insists the girl’s rights, not girls doing or saying whatever they want. I chose this article because it really caught my interest, especially her speech. It’s like she’s saying that we humans should be equal, which is present in almost of the gender inequality / equality articles. But what caught my eye the most is that she clearly knows what feminism means. I’m not a feminist but I’m really attracted to her speech. She is a great model for the feminists.
- How does this news article relate to the story we are reading- The Friday Everything Changed?
I believe that it relates in the story because girls can’t carry the water bucket. But Alma insisted why can’t girls carry them, which is like asking ‘why can’t girls do what boys do?’ It’s not that they don’t do it because they can’t, I believe Emma said it too, “If anyone is being stereotyped by society’s expectations of being a man or woman, then gender inequality is an issue.” It’s like they can’t carry the water bucket because they are a girl, where they think that girls are weak compared to the boys.
The French Revolution (Powerpoint)
In this post, we will differentiate the difference between the surface area and volume, but later on we will focus only at the surface area.
Firstly, what is surface area? Surface area is the total area of all the faces of a 3D object.
Lastly, what is volume? Volume is the measure of the amount of space in a 3D object can occupy.
So we did an activity about finding the surface area of those 3D objects. We also built objects that looks like them exactly, so we’re going to solve the surface area.
1 unit; 3 width; 2 height; 4 length.
Formula = 2(l*h) + 2(w*h) + 2(l*w)
2(4*2) + 2(3*2) + 2 (4*3)
= 16 + 12 + 24
= 52 u^2
The genetic code is a set of three-letter words. As we know, there is only four letter that makes up the DNA which is A, T, C, and G. And each group of three letters on the DNA is an instruction for an amino acid. The RNA, which is like a relative of the DNA, makes a mirror image of one gene of the DNA, one gene means one segment of the DNA. A copy of 3 letter instructions from DNA is also called the DNA triplets.
So as I said earlier, the “relative” of the DNA, which is the RNA makes a mirror image of one gene from the DNA, but what is RNA’s other function or job in the cell? one of the RNA’s function includes is protein synthesis, wherein mRNA molecules direct the assembly of proteins on ribosomes. This process uses messenger mRNA molecules to deliver amino acids to the ribosome, where RNA ribosomes forms protein. The protein is formed when the ribosomes reads each codon ‘or the triplets on the mRNA’ so only a specific amino acid can be added to the growth of the protein molecule.
So in this activity, which is the DNA bracelet activity, we built a bracelet to model how the genetic code is used to build protein. So, we picked a word and the word represents the protein while each letter represents the amino acids. In each letter, it has a set of 3-letter code or rather, the codons, so the fruit loops represents the codons. In this activity, I used the word “Giotto” it represents:
G – GGG
I – AAT
T – ACT
T – ACT
O – AAT
G – green; A – orange; C – pink; T – purple.
3 greens; 8 oranges; 2 pinks; 5 purples.
(Read from the green near the red string and read it clockwise)
• What is DNA?
- Deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) is a nucleic acid that contains the genetic instructions or information for the development and function of living things.
• Structure of the DNA
- The structure of the DNA is a double helix. Imagine a ladder and imagine it twisted. It almost looks like it.
• Explain what the following parts of the model represents.
- Licorice: The two strands of the DNA and some of its part represents the phosphate.
- Marshmallows: It represents the 4 base elements which is present in the DNA which are:
- Pink marshmallow: Cytosine
- Yellow marshmallow: Adenine
- Orange marshmallow: Thymine
- Green marshmallow: Guanine
- Toothpicks: The excess toothpick part which went through the licorice represents the sugar that’s present in the DNA and the toothpick part inside the model represents the nitrogen which is present in all of the 4 bases.
• Did this activity helped me understand DNA structure? Explain why or why not.
- It helped me understand the structure of DNA almost completely, the bases pattern, etc. because this activity made me understand how the DNA looks like by making us build an example model of the DNA structure. However, there is a flaw in this structure since the sugar should completely dominate the two strands of the DNA.
In this activity, the balloon represents the universe and the dots represents the galaxies. The dot near the neck of the balloon, that’s called “M” is the Milky Way (our galaxy) and the point A-E is the neighbouring galaxies near the Milky Way.
In the 5 galaxies (dots), point E is the one that moved away the farthest from point M and point D is the one that moved away the farthest from point M.
And as we know, this activity is called the “expanding universe” which means this activity is like a model of how the universe is expanding. The scientists have discovered that the universe expands because the galaxies are pulling away from each other.
As I have said earlier, the balloon represents the universe, but there are some things that the balloon did not represent the universe, from what I know, the galaxies pulls away from each other at the same rate and when we did the activity, it did not.