Science for Citizens 11
Science for Citizens is a unique take on the traditional science class. In Science for Citizens we strive to understand scientific problems through practical means and how they affect our daily lives. So, using real-life examples we look to understand complex theories and problems. Be prepared to engage in multiple hands-on projects, work collaboratively in teams, and think critically about specific problems.
You are required to bring a fully charged device, small binder/duotang, pen/pencil with you to each class.
Skills – Students will develop the skills required for scientific and technological inquiry, solving problems, communicating scientific ideas and results, working collaboratively, and making informed decisions. These skills can have implications to places of employment.
Knowledge – Students will construct knowledge and understanding of multiple scientific concepts and apply their new understanding to interpret, integrate, and extend their knowledge of the world around them.
Attitudes – Students will be encouraged to develop the attitude of a mindful person. Science for Citizens will open the mind of one’s surroundings so that they are more aware of the world that they live in.
The following are possible topics that may be covered in class:
- Health and Safety
- Flight Technology
- Environment and Resources
- SAFETY is the most important aspect to any classroom/shop. All classroom behaviour must first fall under safe behaviour. Any UNSAFE acts to yourself, your peers, or anyone else can result in removal from the classroom temporarily or even permanently if necessary.
- COVID SAFETY is a new consideration we must practice this year. It is important to ensure that we practice safe working habits in order to prevent and minimize the risks of COVID. Examples including:
- Wearing masks
- Washing hands when you enter and leave the shop
- Sanitizing equipment and tools before and after each use
- Minimizing contact with others
- Conducting self-health check regularly
- EVERY student must participate in clean up. This includes your table(s), surrounding areas, and tools/materials.
- Devices may only be used at appropriate times, or they will be confiscated until the end of class.
Grading will be based on the following four criteria:
- 30% Assignments (written assignments and worksheets)
- 50% Projects
- 20% Quizzes and Tests
I can be contacted through email and will usually respond within 24 hours. Parents/guardians play a big role in your education process.