Science for Citizens 11
How does SCIENCE impact our daily lives?
How can SCIENCE be useful in places of employment?
How does SCIENCE effect our environment?
Science for Citizens is a unique take on the traditional science class. In Science for Citizens we strive to understand scientific problems through practical means and how they affect our daily lives. So, using real-life examples we look to understand complex theories and problems. Be prepared to engage in multiple hands-on projects, work collaboratively in teams, and think critically about specific problems.
You are required to bring a fully charged device, small binder/duotang, pen/pencil with you to each class.
Skills – Students will develop the skills required for scientific and technological inquiry, solving problems, communicating scientific ideas and results, working collaboratively, and making informed decisions. These skills can have implications to places of employment.
Knowledge – Students will construct knowledge and understanding of multiple scientific concepts and apply their new understanding to interpret, integrate, and extend their knowledge of the world around them.
Attitudes – Students will be encouraged to develop the attitude of a mindful person. Science for Citizens will open the mind of one’s surroundings so that they are more aware of the world that they live in.
The following are possible topics that may be covered in class:
- Health and Safety
- Flight Technology
- Environment and Resources
- SAFETY is the most important aspect to any classroom/shop. All classroom behaviour must first fall under safe behaviour. Any UNSAFE acts to yourself, your peers, or anyone else can result in removal from the classroom temporarily or even permanently if necessary.
- Devices (phones, computers, headphones) MUST be put away when there is a lesson or when students are working with tools. Inappropriate device usage can lead to hazardous work environments. Safety is 100% top priority. Students should know the difference between appropriate and inappropriate device usage.
- EVERY student must participate in clean up. This includes your table(s), surrounding areas, and tools/materials.
Grading will be based on the following four criteria:
- 30% Assignments (Learning guides and Written assignments)
- 50% Projects and Labs
- Unit 1: Career Pathways Presentation
- Unit 2: Technology Today
- Unit 3: Popsicle Stick Bridge
- Unit 4: Rocket Technology
- Unit 5: Robot Mask
- Unit 6: Health and Nutrition Presentation
- 20% Quizzes and Tests and Labs
I can be contacted through email and will usually respond within 24 hours. Parents/guardians play a big role in your education process.