Science and Technology 11
Science and Technology is a unique take on the traditional science class. In SciTech we strive to understand scientific problems through practical means. So, using real-life examples we look to understand complex theories and problems. Be prepared to engage in multiple hands-on projects, work collaboratively in teams, and think critically about specific problem.
It is expected that everyone comes to class with a paper-filled binder and a PENCIL. Also, bring your fully charged device to class each and everyday. There will be some assignments that will be hand-written as well as done on the computer. It is required that these materials are brought to class every single day.
Skills – Students will develop the skills required for scientific and technological inquiry, solving problems, communicating scientific ideas and results, working collaboratively, and making informed decisions.
Knowledge – Students will construct knowledge and understanding of concepts in life science, physical science, and Earth and space science, and apply their new understanding to interpret, integrate, and extend their knowledge.
Attitudes – Students will be encouraged to develop the attitude of a mindful person. SciTech will open the mind of one’s surroundings so that they are more aware of the world that they live in.
The following are possible topics that may be covered in class:
- Health science
- Personal technology
- SAFETY is the most important aspect to any classroom/shop. All classroom behaviour must first fall under safe behaviour. Any UNSAFE acts to yourself, your peers, or anyone else can result in removal from the classroom temporarily or even permanently if necessary.
- RESPECT is a two way street. Respect the teacher and your peers as you would like to be respected in return.
- If you need a break just ask. Only one student is allowed to leave the class at any time. This follows under the safety expectation. Use this privilege but do not abuse it.
- The door will be locked 5 minutes after the bell. If you are late, wait outside to be let in.
- EVERY student must participate in clean up. Respect the class you are in. If I don’t see you cleaning I will assign you a cleaning task.
- To get everyone’s attention I will use a countdown method. From 5-1 students should become silent and turn towards me.
- Devices may only be used at appropriate times, or they will be confiscated until the end of class
- Everyone is to try their best. If you are not working to the best of your abilities, the teacher has the right to move you to a more suitable seat in the classroom. Further action may result if there is no improvement.
- Be on time
- Be nice
- Try your best
- Cleanup after yourself and others
Grading will be based on the following four criteria:
- 30% Assignments (written assignments and worksheets)
- 50% Projects
- 20% Final quiz
I can be contacted through email and will usually respond within 24 hours. Parents/guardians play a big role in your education process. They will be contacted within the first week in order to establish a line of communication.