Automotive Technology 11/12
This course will focus on learning and understanding most of the major components of an automotive vehicle. To be able to troubleshoot and maintain different types of vehicles as well as learning how to think critically and solve problems in a workplace. Additionally, this course will provide you with the basic knowledge to perform maintenance and repair on your own personal vehicle in the future. Students will become familiar with the social, legal, and ethical responsibilities associated with vehicle operation. Furthermore, students will also develop a competence for working with manual and power tools.
Advanced levels of Automotive Technology will focus on more intricate topics while further developing the ability to solve problems in a self-directed environment. Some of the additional topics covered will include engine systems, electrical systems, trouble diagnostics, ABS systems, and more. Students will also work on personal projects including personal vehicle work and tutorial/video editing.
- SAFETY is always the most important factor in education. There will be times when tools/machinery is used and it is crucial to ensure that you are properly instructed when using said tools. Furthermore, we like to ensure that all students feel safe in our classroom. There is no tolerance for physically/emotionally harmful behaviour. There is zero tolerance for intentional unsafe behaviour, this will result in removal from the shop.
- RESPECT is a two way street. Respect the teacher and your peers as you would like to be respected in return
- SAFETY is 100% top priority with any automotive endeavor. Hazards present themselves all the time and it is crucial to be able to identify these hazards and prevent serious bodily harm
- EVERY student must participate in clean up. Respect the class you are in. If I don’t see you cleaning I will assign you a cleaning task. Clean up duties will be assigned within the first week of class.
- To get everyone’s attention I will use a countdown method. From 5-1 students should become silent and turn towards me. Sometimes I may also use the whistle
- Devices may only be used at appropriate times, or they will be confiscated until the end of class
- Everyone is to try their best. If you are not working to the best of your abilities, the teacher has the right to move you to a more suitable seat in the classroom. Further action may result if there is no improvement.
- Be nice
- Be on time
- Try your best
- Cleanup after yourself and others
- Planning and problem solving
- Creative and critical thinking
- Designing skills
- Understanding and troubleshooting basic automotive problems
- Technical competence
- Safety glasses
- Coveralls (can be purchased through shop)
Grading will be based on the following three criteria:
- 30% Employability skills
- 30% Assignments
- 30% Quizzes/Tests
- 40% Labs
I can be contacted through email and will usually respond within 24 hours. Parents/guardians play a big role in your education process. They will be contacted within the first week in order to establish a line of communication.