Bicycle Maintenance and Repair 11 Course Outline
This course is designed to introduce students to the fundamental techniques used in the repair and maintenance of bicycles that will be donated to the needy within the community, along with shop safety and responsible use of tools. Students will learn the proper use of the various bicycle tools required as they repair and maintain the bikes. Students will also learn the rules of cycling on the road, bike handling and traffic skills. Once all aspects of bike safety, repair and maintenance have been thoroughly covered, students will participate in supervised bicycle rides within the community and volunteer their time to share bicycle safety with other students.
- SAFETY is always the most important factor in education. There will be times when tools/machinery is used and it is crucial to ensure that you are properly instructed when using said tools. Furthermore, we like to ensure that all students feel safe in our classroom. There is no tolerance for physically/emotionally harmful behaviour
- Due diligence for the safe and correct repair of byclcles. Most bicycles will be donated for charity and it is the responsibility of our program to ensure bicycles are safe and enjoyable to ride.
- RESPECT is a two way street. Respect the teacher and your peers as you would like to be respected in return
- EVERY student must participate in clean up. Respect the class you are in. If I don’t see you cleaning I will assign you a cleaning task. Individual clean up duties will be assigned for the semester.
- To get everyone’s attention I will use a countdown method. From 5-1 students should become silent and turn towards me.
- Devices may only be used at appropriate times, or they will be confiscated until the end of class
- Everyone is to try their best. If you are not working to the best of your abilities, the teacher has the right to move you to a more suitable seat in the classroom. Further action may result if there is no improvement.
- Be nice
- Be on time
- Try your best
- Cleanup after yourself and others
- Planning and problem solving
- Creative and critical thinking
- Road safety and safe riding habits
- Understanding of bycycle systems
- Technical competence
Student performance in this course will be assessed and evaluated as follows:
- 20% Theory :
- Safety tests
- Peer Evaluations
- Self –Evaluations
- 80% Practical:
- Unit Tests
- Documentation of project
- Practical skill demonstrations
- Riding safety demonstrations
- Complete Independent Bicycle Restoration
I can be contacted through email and will usually respond within 24 hours. Parents/guardians play a big role in your education process. They will be contacted within the first week in order to establish a line of communication.