Bicycle Technology 11 Course Outline
This course is designed to introduce students to the fundamental techniques used in the repair and maintenance of bicycles that will be donated to the needy within the community, along with shop safety and responsible use of tools. Students will learn the proper use of the various bicycle tools required as they work on bikes. Students will also learn the rules of cycling on the road, bike handling and traffic skills. Once all aspects of bike safety, repair and maintenance have been thoroughly covered, students will participate in supervised bicycle rides within the community and volunteer their time to share bicycle safety with other students.
- SAFETY is always the most important factor in education. There will be times when tools/machinery is used and it is crucial to ensure that you are properly instructed when using said tools. Furthermore, we like to ensure that all students feel safe in our classroom. There is no tolerance for physically/emotionally harmful behaviour
- COVID SAFETY is a new consideration we must practice this year. It is important to ensure that we practice safe working habits in order to prevent and minimize the risks of COVID. Examples including:
- Wearing masks
- Washing hands when you enter and leave the shop
- Sanitizing equipment and tools before and after each use
- Minimizing contact with others
- Conducting self-health check regularly
- Due diligence for the safe and correct repair of byclcles. Most bicycles will be donated for charity and it is the responsibility of our program to ensure bicycles are safe and enjoyable to ride.
- RESPECT is a two way street. Respect the teacher and your peers as you would like to be respected in return. This expectation also applies to our bicycles.
- EVERY student must participate in clean up. Respect the class you are in. If I don’t see you cleaning I will assign you a cleaning task. Individual clean up duties will be assigned for the semester. This year there are additional cautions and risks attached to cleaning. Please ensure that the proper amount of time and care are taken when cleaning the tools, equipment, and shop. If for any reason, time and care cannot be taken, please let me know.
- Devices may only be used at appropriate times, or they will be confiscated until the end of class
- Everyone is to try their best. If you are not working to the best of your abilities, the teacher has the right to move you to a more suitable seat in the classroom.
- Be nice
- Be on time
- Try your best
- Cleanup after yourself and others
- Planning and problem solving
- Creative and critical thinking
- Road safety and safe riding habits
- Understanding of bicycle systems
- Technical competence
Student performance in this course will be assessed and evaluated as follows:
- 20% Theory :
- Safety tests
- Peer Evaluations
- Self –Evaluations
- 80% Practical:
- Unit Tests
- Documentation of project
- Practical skill demonstrations
- Riding safety demonstrations
- Complete Independent Bicycle Restoration
I can be contacted through email and will usually respond within 24 hours. Parents/guardians play a big role in your education process. They will be contacted within the first week in order to establish a line of communication.