- What? Dubnium is a highly radioactive and synthetic chemical element with the symbol of “Db” and the atomic 105. It is the most stable isotope, dubnium-268, has a half-life about of 28 hours. Theoretical research establishes dubnium as a member of group 5 in the 6d series of transition metals.
- Who? Albert Ghiroso and the Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna who was led by Georgy Flerov.
- Where? The Joint Institute for Nuclear Research in Dubna made the discovery in their lab in a city near Moscow. Albert Ghiroso made his discovery in a lab in California with his team
- When? The Joint Institute for Nuclear Research made their discovery in 1968, but in 1970 Albert Ghiroso and his team redid the experiment.
- How? Georgy Flerov and his team bombarded americium with neon and created an isotope of an element 105. Albert Ghiroso and his team bombarded californium with neon and created isotope 261
- Why? Georgy Flerov and his team were experimenting in their laboratory in Dubra, Russia and eventually mixed americium with neon and created the isotope.
What questions did you need to research in order to research your topic?
I answered all of the who, what, why, where, when, how questions to research on my element.
What new or familiar digital tools did you try to use as you worked on this project?
I only used reliable websites I could find while researching my element.
What was the process you used to investigate the topic?
I wrote all of the questions down and worked on each question one at a time. If I found the answer to another question, I would pause what I was doing and work on the other question.
How did you verify and cite the information you found?
I looked at many reliable websites and sources and they all said the same things or something very similar to one another. If the website was from an educational source and got their information from some other site who was reliable, then I would use it.
How did the process of completing this challenge go? What could you have done better?
The process was a bit hard because some questions I really had to dig deep and find, but I eventually found the correct answer and strived for success. There were a few times where I was distracted by something but I eventually got back on track and researched my element.