sci10astrowonder2018What it’s made of: Jupiter’s upper atmosphere is made of hydrogen and helium and about. hydrogen and helium, with the last small percent composed of other elements. Lower in Jupiter’s atmosphere, scientists have found traces of methane, water vapor, ammonia, and silicon-based compounds as well as small amounts of benzene and other hydrocarbons. There are even more compounds like carbon, ethane, hydrogen sulfide, neon, oxygen, phosphine, and sulfur. Even crystals of frozen Ammonia have been found in the outer layer of Jupiter’s atmosphere.
How fast do they go: Jupiters storm can reach over 400 km an hour. The highest speed ever recorded is 348 miles per hour which are 560 km an hour.
How deep is the storm: Scientist haven’t yet seen what is underneath Jupiters storm. Although Jupiters storm was only thought to be only km’s deep, due to the sunlight being unable to pass through. But now with new technology, scientist have found Jupiter’s storm might be 30 miles deep or 50km’s. Yet still, we don’t yet know if the storms end there since we haven’t even seen the bottom yet.
Questions scientists have: So how can we make observations like Jupiter has a solid core and ice if there is so much debris we can’t even see it? Scientist has made observations about that if Jupiter didn’t have a solid core it wouldn’t be able to collect the hydrogen and helium from the nebula without some sort of force (gravity) to pull those elements in. But scientist think that it doesn’t mean it has one today! Scientist’s also think that the core could possibly have shrunken due to metallic hydrogen or hot liquids mixing with the core. Being that both statements could possibly be true, scientists still think mainly that there is a core, but could also imply that there isn’t one anymore. In the end, both can be wrong maybe Jupiter never had a core and aliens built Jupiter to live under a wall of storms. But the two answer’s scientist came up with are the most likely with the facts that we gathered.
Fun fact: How can Jupiter be so hot if its five times farther from the sun than the earth is to the sun? Scientists believe they’ve found “the smoking gun!” There are two types of energy that cause heat in Jupiter’s upper atmosphere. Acoustic waves, and sound waves, when they crash together in Jupiter’s red dot and rise to the upper atmosphere. Creating a lot of heat!
How many Earths can fit inside: Jupiter Red Dot is said to hold about three Earths.
http://go.galegroup.com/ps/retrieve.do?tabID=T003&resultListType=RESULT_LIST&searchResultsType=SingleTab&searchType=BasicSearchForm¤tPosition=1&docId=GALE%7CA537591507&docType=Brief+article&sort=Relevance&contentSegment=&prodId=GPS&contentSet=GALE%7CA537591507&searchId=R2&userGroupName=43dcbs&inPS=true Basic Info
https://www.universetoday.com/14470/does-jupiter-have-a-solid-core/ does Jupiter have a core?
- What questions did you need to research in order to research your topic? I searched up things like; how deep is the storm, how fast it goes, does it have a solid core, why is Jupiter super hot.
- What new or familiar digital tools did you try to use as you worked through this project? I used websites that were new in the form of that I haven’t used them, but the same in how I got the websites. I got some of my websites from the school web, but I got to try new sources from them.
- What was the process you used to investigate the topic? I made my topic off one of the school websites that were really helpful, as well as gathering ideas from other sources like videos. After the topic idea was created, I finalized and twerked my question to make it sound much better, from gathering different feedback from other students. Then found valid websites from the school web, and went from there on to finishing my project.
- How did you verify and cite the information you found? I used the school web to find already checked and valid resources, but ones that I didn’t get from school, I checked the website’s checking who made it, time of update, and other sources.
- How did the process of completing this challenge go? What could you have done better? I felt more rushed trying to fix my question into making it better because I felt I wasn’t able to do it without changing the entire direction I wanted to go with the project. In the end, I found a way, even if it was a bit changed, but believe that to make things easier on myself I should try working on getting some more feedback and help from others to see if my question is valid, and or build a brainstorm, or look online for help.
By: Kaiden Hofmann