Category Archives: Uncategorized
Neurons are cells that send information to the brain. They are a made up of the cell body, dendrites and axons. Dendrites allow a message to go to the cell body, and Axons, conduct the message away from the cell body.
There are three types of neurons: Inter neuron (As shown below), motor-neuron, sensory-neuron
The neurons communication method is called Action Potential. It is an electrochemical signal that comes from a nerve impulse. It starts with an electrical change that moves from the cell body, through the axon. The movement is caused by a positive ions causing a chain reaction throughout the axons. This is called Depolarization. It is an message that stimulates the axon when sodium ions flow into the axon and changes the axon segment to negative. Then flowing through the axon with it action potential. After the axon re polarizes with channels let the K+ ions to leave the axon, then the charge returns to its original charge.
A synapse has, the ends of dendrites receiving the neuron, tips of terminal branches of axon and a synaptic gap, or a tiny gap between neurons.
An Axon terminal button produces Neurotransmitter, it keeps NT in the synaptic vesicles, and recycle NT. When Action Potential reaches the end of the axon, is causes the vesicles to give away the neurotransmitters through the synaptic gap and reaches the receptors on the receiving neuron.
After receiving the neuron the dendrite determines the NT function as either excitatory, or inhibitory. Excitatory, stimulates the AP on the receiving neuron and inhibitory represses AP.
English 11 Reflections
I learned how to integrate quotes into my essay with the proper punctuation. I thought more about censorship and how our government runs. Also about why somethings are censored and some aren’t. I did enjoy analyzing “Homecoming King” because of its interesting story.
Question: What reasons does Beatty give for the current state of society and for books being destroyed?
Captain Beatty has multiple reasonings for his beliefs in burning the books in their dystopian society. First, books are knowledge and to the government knowledge to the people is dangerous. All the books should be burned to not let the public obtain that knowledge. Secondly, Beatty told Montag, “If you don’t want a man unhappy political, don’t give him two sides to a question to worry him; give him one. Better yet, give him none.” (Pg.58). This shows that the government is making everything boil down to one simple answer. Not letting people question their society and not making their own opinions. Thirdly, an example of his reasonings is so the books not to offend anyone. He makes the point where if there is a book that offends someone or a person, burn it so everyone can be happy. “Colored people don’t like Little Black Sambo. Burn it. White people don’t feel good about Uncle Tom’s Cabin. Burn it.” (Pg.57). But where there is nothing to offend anyone how can anyone be truly happy. In life you need something to fight for, something to believe in and with the burning of the books how can this happen. Also, without being sad or hurt, how can you be happy. Captain Beatty said, “Fire is bright, fire is clean.” (Pg.58). Beatty explains his reasonings furthermore explaining that what the firemen are doing is the right thing and the burning of the books is the only way everyone can be happy at once. Although through Montag’s point of view, that’s not the case.
Arts and Sciences
Arts and Science is very hard to compare but, both are very important to our society. Without Science where would we be in the world, what medical or architectural achievements would we have accomplished without it. But when we do accomplish those things, we need a way to preserve it. Arts and writing can show how things were done. To show the past, the rights and wrongs to make sure history does not repeat its self in a negative way. Also science helped structure our world today in buildings, medicine, and technology. To help us survive in the world. But can all this exist with art. Creativity must be the base line of the architectural designs of our world. With everything that we create, there must be creativity right next to it. Art is creativity and without expressing emotion and our thoughts through it how are we suppose to have science and intellectual design. One cannot live without another.
Solar Oven Project
Science solar oven
- Cut a flap on the top part of a pizza box
- Cover the inside of the flap with Aluminum foil
- Use clear plastic wrap to trap heat inside the box
- Put black construction paper on the bottom
- To insulate wrap Styrofoam in aluminum and then place around the inside of the box.
- Use a ruler to prop up the flap to collect sunlight and heat.
Cardboard box and flap
Clear plastic wrap
Black construction paper
Research: Three common types of solar cookers
Box cooker: They are a box with an air tight wrap around it, while having a clear plastic wrap on the top allowing heat to come through but not leave, heating up the box to high temperatures.
Pro: Traps heat inside well, easy to make, can reach 150 degree Celsius, air tight and sealed well, not having to readjust.
Con: Cannot reach higher than around 150 degrees Celsius.
Panel cooker: Similar to the box cooker but has three sides to it directing the heat towards the food inside the box.
Pro: easy to make, better for moisture foods, does not require alignment, difficult to burn or over cook.
Con: 100 degrees Celsius, slow cooker,
Parabolic Cookers: They are shaped like satellite dishes with a pot centralized I the middle of the dish and reflective surfaces on the satellite dishes. This allows for the sun rays to hit the satellite and reflect the sun rays onto the food.
Pro: able to cook higher temperature foods, can reach higher temperatures than other cookers, cooking quickly.
Con: need to adjust the cooker a lot having to be facing the sun, difficult to build
We are choosing the Solar Box Oven because it can reach high temperatures and trap heat well.
How thermal transfers:
In this case with the solar oven the type of thermal energy is radiation. The suns UV lights travel through space to earth and hits the solar oven. The suns rays travel in waves instead of direct contact like other types of heat transfer and does not need any form of contact to heat up the box. The waves can travel through the clear plastic but cannot escape.
Here is our Solar Box Oven
This is our box that we started with
We cut open the box and wrapped clear plastic around the open flap to allow light and heat to be trapped in the box
Then we put Styrofoam wrapped in aluminum foil to reflect the heat towards the food
This is the finished project with the aluminum flap catching the sunlight and heat and reflecting in into the box
Then a picture of the food on an aluminum plate with the sun hitting the plastic wrap trapping the heat inside to cook the marshmallows, crackers, and chocolate.
We had three trials each of the same food, marshmallow, chocolate, and a gram cracker, the first took 15 minutes, second took 20 minutes, and the third 25 minutes.
The first one tasted, a little cooked but still uncooked. The food was warm and chocolate melted
The second trial was tasted more crisp but uncooked on the inside.
The third trial that lasted 25 minutes the marshmallows and cracker were both crispy and very hot, the chocolate melted and turned to a liquid.
We redesigned the oven to have more panels to reflect the heat and sun lights rays into the box. This improves the heat and temperature of the box because it covers more of the heat possible exit points. Also the main reason because it reflects and directs the heat into the box cooking the food from more sides and in a hotter oven.
SET BC Bald Eagle- Zac & Ria
This is my groups project on SET BC
My Graduation Requirements
- Healthy Living
- This year, I am ___in minor league hockey, hockey academy, and PE 10_____ to meet DPA requirements (150 mins/week of moderate to vigorous physical activity).
- Next year, I will ___be in minor league hockey, hockey academy, and PE 11_____ to meet DPA requirements.
- Other than physical activity, I will also need a concrete plan for healthy eating__ and __stress management_____ in order to lead a healthy life after graduation.
- Course Credits
- I need __80__ credits to graduate. A typical course is worth __4__ credits.
- __48__ of them must be from required courses.
- __28__ of them must be from electives.
- __16__ of them must be from Grade 12 courses.
- At the end of this year, I will have __36__ credits.
- I need __80__ credits to graduate. A typical course is worth __4__ credits.
- Community Connections
- I need __30__ hours of work/volunteer experience. To show I completed this, I must show proof in the form of pay stub_____ or _reference letter____.
- I can start accumulating these hours in Grade __10-12__.
- My plan to earn work/volunteer hours is through _a job as a cashier, stocking shelves at grocery store. Work at clothing store. Volunteer at city with learn to skate __(be specific to where you would like to work, or where you plan on volunteering your time)______.
- I will also need to complete a reflection that includes __employability __, ___skill, and _a response It will be __200__ typed words minimum.
- Career and Life
- In addition to updating my resume, I will also create post secondary plan_ and _financial___ to show that I have a plan in place after graduation.
- When I graduate, my current plan is to go to UBC Engineering____(work/go to college or trades school or university/travel/other (specify).
- To prepare for the interview, I can look at the questions ahead of time. They are found _on the riverside home page____.
- My interview will be with my RAP teacher___.
- The 3 people at Riverside who are here to help with this process are:
- Mr. Ahmelich
- Mrs. David
In Grade 12, I will find all the necessary documents AND submit them onto the GT website.
I will complete Grad Transitions 12 whenever I have ___English 12_. If I have it in 1st semester, I must complete everything except the interview before __Winter Ball_. In 2nd semester, everything except the interview must be completed before __Grad dinner__.
This article is from CTV news and shows negative side of Canada’s multiculturist. A man attack a women who was wearing a hijab and ripped it off her. This shows the negative part of Canada and the parts that pop up that still astonish the
This is a festival in Vancouver that shows that people want to and are able to celebrate their culture and also show off their pride in what they believe in, and what their heritage is.
I do think Canada is a multicultural country because we allow and accept all walks of life. Even if there are bad and racist things the good out ways the bad.