Host Name) Brendan Connelly
Part #1) Interview
#1) Career Name) Manufacturing Engineer
#2) Career Definition) Plans industrial work instruction for constructing aerospace components & manufactures.
#3) Duties/Assignments Implemented
- see #2
- solves industrial issues as they appear
a) Preparation) On the job instruction as required.
b) Education) Applied Science university degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 25 years in aerospace
- (20 in present career)
d) Skills & Traits
- team player
- result (fighter jet)
- allows use of industrial skills to solve industrial issues on a daily basis
- client necessities & methods create limitations that prevent the creation of procedure improvements
#7) Anticipation of Career Changing in the Next 5y
- more military work
- more assembly work instead of component manufacture
Part #2) Reflection
#1) Reasons Why I Would Like this Career
- based on science & mathematics
- reasonable salary
- you can make a difficult procedure easier by breaking it up into step-by-step instruction
#2) Reasons Why I Would Dislike this Career
- some procedures aren’t environmentally friendly
- factory (loud noises)
- has potential to be dangerous
#3) Career For Me?
Mechanical Engineering isn’t the ideal career for me. Although I would find this career interesting & enjoyable, it does have some flaws. For me, the health of the environment is very important & the use of chemicals & other non-environmentally friendly substances bothers me. Also I have sensitive hearing & a lot of loud noise is created in factories. Mechanical Engineering is also not my passion. My passion is Marine Biology & I’d find being a Marine Biologist more enjoyable than being a Mechanical Engineer.
#4) Importance of TOKTW
I think that TOKTW is important because some students my age still don’t know what they want to do in the future as a career. Experiencing what it’s like at an adult’s workplace can help them decide their future careers. As I already know what I want to do in the future as a career, I still learned what it’s like at an adult’s workplace & how people work together (something that I’m not the best at).