- Remember that your “re-genre” of Eva’s Story is due tomorrow. Please have it printed for me.
- Do the vocabulary and the pre- writing from this assignment and read the author’s biography https://www.biography.com/writer/elie-wiesel
- While you are working, show me your combining sentences from your essay with Mr. Chan
- After 40 minutes of vocab building and descriptive writing, we will read the story
Continue with Eva’s story
- Assessing YOUR “Eva’s Story”.
- Continue working on your assignment- I have another option!!!
- Do a “Points” exercise for the article below. This means you are to read the article- find ONE quote that you find interesting- ONE quote that you think is of value to you- ONE quote that you question. Each quote should be in quotation marks with the author’s last name in brackets. See the document below for an example.
- Due on Monday.
The Holocaust in story
There have been many ways that authors have recorded the stories of WWII, in particular, the horrors of the Holocaust. Novels, short stories, poems, movies and now, instagram. Which genre do you think is the most effective in teaching 2019 Canadian students about this historical event and to teach us “lest we forget”.
- First some background on the deportation of Hungarian Jews
- Eva’s Story- Is it appropriate to use social media to teach about the Holocaust?
- After watching Eva’s story on Instagram (watch in order), choose ONE of the following activities:
- choose three “days” and translate into a narrative poem.
- choose three “days” and make into a short, short story (no more than 500 words)
- choose 1-3 days and create a visual interpretation of the events. You can do a collage or a drawing or your own type of visual representation. It is due on Friday, so no need to create the Mona Lisa- keep it simple, yet insightful
- It will be due on Monday. Remember, this is not a huge project. It is to provide you with an opportunity to present a story in a new genre. What is lost in the change? What is gained?
- Tests back and discussion about marks
- Essays- all together now! Find two sets of sentences that combine and bold your attempt at combining properly. One should use a comma and a FANBOY and the other should use a ;THAMO’s, .
- Is your essay double spaced?
- Times New Roman
- Does it show academic language?
- Did you take Mr. Chan’s feedback into consideration??
- Discussion of “The Boy in the Striped Pajamas”- irony, theme, questions
- Sentence combining using FANBOYS and Thamo’s
- Work on your essay
Please watch these three videos during A or B block today. Where is irony in “The Boy in the Striped Pajama’s”?
Be ready to answer this on Monday morning.
See No Red Ink for how to combine sentences using THAMO’s
Watch the rest of the movie
Three questions for the movie
What is the irony of the situation?
- No Red Ink- identifying complete thoughts and using FANBOYS to combine complete thoughts. Do both exercises by tomorrow.
- WWII in novel turned to film: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
- As you watch the film, create three questions you have about WWII and the Holocaust.
- This film shows “irony”. What is the situational irony in this film?
- What is the theme of this film? What did you learn about WWII from this movie?
If you are absent today, see me tomorrow to set up a time to do the test.
Today we will synthesize the two poems on a Venn Diagram then create a theme statement that synthesizes both.
Reminder- printed letter is due at the end of the block on Friday. Test on short story and all three poems on Monday.