- With your partner, continue analyzing your poem. Have it marked up by Tuesday
- Creative writing/Letter from the Front– You will get a letter from home. Read it and respond. You are a soldier on the Front in France or Belgium. Use information you have learned from Mr. Chan AND the Port Moody Museum to create a descriptive, narrative letter from the perspective of a soldier, home to Canada. What do you see, hear, feel, taste, smell?? Make your writing come alive, not with excessive adjectives but with vivid imagery. Show, don’t tell!!!
- Letter #2 is due on Tuesday.
And do No Red Ink if you want to improve your quiz mark. The new quiz will be on Friday.
Today we will listen and read three important WWI poems. You are to “mark up” your poem following the steps in the “deconstructing poetry” outlined below. I will guide you for some of it, but you and your partner will be analyzing on your own then teaching the other two people in your group.
Practice difference between allusion, metaphor, assonance, consonance, simile.
Review of THAMO’s
Read the beginning of your book.
- Homework check- letter from Canada
- Please send me your Edublog link through this Form:
- Commonly confused words quiz on No Red Ink
- Poetry Terms quiz (on paper)
- Continue working on “All Quiet…” It is to be completed by tomorrow morning. When you are done, DO NOT SEND TO ME. Put it on your Edublog with the “add document” button above. TAG:AllQuietA (or B) Please put on “private” mode for now.
- Do the corrections for your “PhotoVoice” paragraph and post to your blog with the image. Due by tomorrow. TAG:PhotoVoiceA (or B). Copy and paste to the blog- not a link to the document please.
- Narrative Essay corrections: First complete the following form so I can find your Edublog. Tags do not always work! Form for Edublog links
- Literature Circle Books: We begin tomorrow. Please give me your top 3 books as I need to make groups of four (plus one group of five). Form for choosing top three books
- No Red Ink quiz on connecting clauses
- Parallelism- Grammar Bytes
- Lit Circle Literature Circles
Today you will write a letter from Canada to the Front Lines in Europe. It is due on Monday. DO NOT SEND TO ME. You will get a homework mark on Monday if it is complete. I will give you further instructions on Monday on how to hand in.
Here is the assignment:
- Finish off presentations
- Ask questions of the other group so you KNOW these poems
- Test tomorrow will be on these poems AND “Yet Do I Marvel”. I will give you the poetry terminology sheet so you can remember the types of poems and other terms we have not gone over.
- No Red Ink quiz on connecting clauses with THAMO’s and colons AND beginning a sentence with THAMO’s.
- Practice a few more commonly confused words. Quiz on Monday (accept/except, quiet/quite, desert/dessert, your/you’re, everyone/every one, anyone/any one, their/there/they’re, good/well, who/who, who’s/whose, lose/loose, everyday/every day, passed/past)
- Quiz on the poetry terms: https://quizlet.com/126263333/english-10-poetry-terms-flash-cards/
- Finish questions 1-7 in “All Quiet on the Western Front” for Monday. We will finish it off on Monday and it is due on Tuesday. Do not send to me until I ask for it.