MLA formatting is extremely important when doing research essays. For this essay you should have THREE sources so therefore, you will only have THREE entries in your works cited.
The three basic criteria for using MLA (English and SS use MLA, Social Sciences and Sciences use APA) is to a) give the author the credit- makes sense. b) show you are not plagiarizing c) the reader knows where to find the information
Owl Purdue is the main reference for this. Use this to help format.
UBC’s reference list
In-text citations are the sources WITHIN your writing that reference the citations at the end of the essay.
The basic rule is that the first word in the bracket is the first word in the citations. Then you reference page number (book) or line number (poem) or time stamp (movie/youtube). If you are using a website with no pages, then you don’t need anything after the first word).
Be sure to format properly!!!
- periods go after the bracket
- there is no comma in the bracket
- if you are introducing the quote with a full sentence, you must use a colon
- if you are introducing the quote with a phrase, use a comma.
- No Red Ink helps with learning this. Do it!!
Note the green highlight: it shows synthesis