I interviewed Dr. Sabrina Makhani
Her roles and responsibilities are doing work on teeth like fillings, crowns and bridges, root canals, extractions and much more. Being the owner of the practice she needs to do administrative work like management, payroll for staff and other payments and also overlooking that the clinic runs smoothly.
I chose her because her job has always interested me and I wanted to learn more about what she does and why she likes it.
I learned that dentistry is a very hard profession to get but once you get it, you will be successful. I also learned that you have to be very careful with everything you do in that
1. Why are you passionate about your job?
– Likes interacting with people
– Helping get rid of dental pain
– Loves the creativity
– Satisfaction when it’s done
2. What obstacles have you faced to get where you are today?
– Got a degree from India that was not accepted in Canada so had to go through university again for 2 years
– Financially hard because she was an immigrant
– Child that was 1 month old
– Had to travel 3 hours every day to go to university
– Didn’t have time for her child
– Had to work on weekends for 10 years to reduce child care
– In debt for starting clinic (take a loan)
3. What advice would you pass on to someone interested in what you are doing?
– Be focused
– Have a plan of courses you need to take
– Do your best to get into the field
– Hard at first but gets easier
4. Would you be open to further contact from Riverside students and if so, how can someone contact you?
5. Where do you see yourself in 10 years with this job?
– Paid off bank loans
– Be in a better place than today with her practice growing and becoming more successful
– Cut down work hours and hire associates to work for her
6. How long did it take for you to adjust from dentistry in India to dentistry in Canada?
– The two years in university opened her eyes and helped her adjust from India to Canada
– These 2 years helped to improve her skill to the same level as Canadian dentists
Website link : http://www.mellowdentalcare.com
This interview opened up the opportunity of going to university and getting this degree. If I get this degree and become a dentist I will get my mother’s practice and I will not have to go through the obstacles that she went through.