Key Question: What would an ethic of care towards the environment look like?
- How do you personally define an ethic of care?
- A practise, value, disposition, or virtue.
- Practises and values.
- A species of activity, everything we do are maintain ,contain, repair the world around us.
- Attentiveness, aware of need.
- A willingness to respond and take care of need.
- The skill of providing good and successful care
- Personal interaction and dependency
- Opposition to justice, a kind of labour, a particular relationship.
2. What would be needed to create an ethic of care?
- This requires people to be aware of what is happening and how our small actions affect the environment. Humans need to know more about our consequences and how to solve it. In order to create an ethic of care, we need the knowledge to create a particular relationship, taking responsibilities and acting on it.
3. What would we have to believe about the environment to care for it? How should we see it?
- We need to stop disconnecting from nature and the environment. Human beings are part of nature, and we still need to take care of it, because it is humanity that needs nature to survive. But nature does not need to rely on us. There is an interdependent relationship between the environment and humans. People must keep the environment clean and ensure the sustainability of the environment. Since the environment is relevant to us, we should regard the environment as an important thing we should protect.
4. How would we act if we cared about the environment? – give scenarios
- Being more concerned about the environment will include stopping many things we do, such as littering, using too much plastic, wasting water, cutting trees a lot and destroying nature. Schools or companies can be educated to understand how our actions have a negative impact on nature and to make them realize that this is not something that is invisible, but it is something we should care about. Large institutions such as the government should also take action on this, such as stopping cheap mass production, which is causing serious air pollution in China and other countries. Destruction of nature is something we can’t simply ignore, but we can stop and protect nature from the little things around us.
5. What would be different about the world if everyone adopted this ethic of care towards the environment? Benefits and drawbacks?
- Global warming and climate change may be resolved so that we can live in a better place. The world will become greener and the food source will be fresher and healthier. If everyone follows a caring ethic, then the world may be a good place to live because everyone cares about each other. However, we may quickly deplete food such as meat, vegetables or fruits and cause famine. This will limit our activities.
6. Should we adopt an ethic of care towards the environment?
- Some extend, we should adopt an ethic of care so we can actually care the environment and co-exist without destruction. However，Humans would have to change our lifestyle, but certain ways of life will be hard to change.