You will be observing your host throughout the day. There are 3 parts to this assignment:
Part 1 – The Interview: Observe your host at work, at some point interview your host and record/make notes of the results
Part 2 – Reflection: After the day is finished, reflect upon your experience and answer the reflection questions
Part 3 – Post Your Assignment to Your Blog: Once you have completed Part 1 and Part 2 post it on your blog.
Name of your host: Joanna Erickson Relationship to you: Friend’s mom
- What is your job title? Library Co-ordinator.
- What is your job description? Overseeing the day to day running of the marine campus library of BCIT.
- What are some of the duties and or tasks you perform at your job? Checking in and out books, answering reference questions, cataloging, conducting library tours, and authenticating borrowers.
- What qualifications do you have for this job? A 2 year library diploma and experience working in a library; shelving and being a circulation assistant.
- What are some of the things you like about this job? I like being with books, getting to know students and learning about the marine industry.
- What are some of the things you dislike about this job? I dislike being away from the main campus and working alone.
- How do you anticipate this job changing in the next 5 years or so? There is probably going to be more online resources and students will need help navigating the new online resources.
1. Give three reasons why you would like this job.
I would like this job because…
A. I wouldn’t have to work with people.
B. I like the quiet and libraries are quiet.
C. I wouldn’t have to be very active physically.
2. Give three reasons why you would not like this job.
I would not like this job because…
A. I would not like the repetition of doing the same thing every day.
B. I would rather do a job involving computers.
C. I don’t like to do the kind of duties that are involved with this job
3. Is this job for you? Why or why not?
This job is not for me because it doesn’t involve computers, I wouldn’t want to do the same thing every day and I would just not want to do the kind of duties that are involved with this job.
4. Explain the value of the TOKTW experience in relation to your ideas about your post secondary plans.
The value of the TOKTW experience to me, was that it showed me that there are lots of different jobs out there (because got to see lots of the BCIT marine campus) and that I still have lots of time to think over my career choices in school.