Kelsey Stewart’s Blog
My name is Kelsey Stewart and I am a grade 12 student at Riverside Secondary School. I play on a BCSPL soccer team in Langley, BC and a rep softball team in Maple Ridge, BC. My favourite colour is pink and in my spare time I enjoy reading, hanging out with my friends and traveling.
Penticton, Canada: August 2017
During my childhood, my grandparents lived in Osoyoos. Every summer since I can remember, we would spend hours in the pool and eat popsicles until our tongues were blue! Sadly, my grandfather became ill and passed away during October 2017. Returning to the interior of BC brought back waves of memories: both sad and happy. Spending time with my cousins this summer allowed us to grieve and feel close to our grandfather, Scott, once more.
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: March 2018
Cabo San Lucas has become easily one of our favourite travel destinations as a family. A four hour flight means that by morning you may still be packing your suitcases, but by late afternoon, you can already be on the beach!
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico: November 2018
Did I mention that we love Cabo? After hearing enough stories about how amazing our trip was, we finally convinced the rest of our family to join us on a vacation to the Hyatt Ziva -the same resort that we stayed in during our spring break trip earlier that year!
Arizona, USA: March 2019
This tournament not only marked the last team trip that we were able to take, it marked 9 years of playing together. These girls have become my family and even though we may never travel together as a team, I cannot wait for the girls weekend and graduation trips that are to come!
Paris, France: May 2019
To say that I was overwhelmed by the beauty and the culture of this country is an understatement. During a two week long school trip, not only did I have the opportunity to visit the amazing Eiffel Tower, we also spent time learning the history and involvement of France in WW2. During our time in France we visited Nîmes, Arles, Avignon, Carcasson, Saint Malo, Mont St Michel, Paris and Caen.
Kelowna, Canada: June 2019
For this little cutie’s grandfather’s 80th birthday, my family drove to Kelowna for the week to celebrate! We ate lots of cupcakes and sweets but by far, my little buddy and my favourite treats were the macarons from the macaron tower!
New Brunswick, Canada: August 2019
After a long week playing in our Softball Nationals tournament, one of my best friends, Mel, invited me to her family’s house in New Brunswick. During our two week stay, we rode on a sail boat, we watched a fire work show and we even drove over the longest bridge in the world to cross ice-covered water: The Confederation Bridge.
California, USA: August 2019
Upon return home from New Brunswick, I slept in my own bed one night before repacking my bags and leaving on a girls trip to Disneyland. Celebrating my sister’s graduation, we spent 5 days in the happiest place on earth. By far our favourite ride was Splash Mountain and by the end of the trip we had an entire album of Splash Mountain pictures!
My Digital Resume:
- University of Toronto National Book Award Recipient
- Bilingual status (English and French)
- Top academic student (96% average) in grade 9
- Top grade 9 (regarding sports achievements, academic achievements and contribution to the community)
- Top academic student (95% average) in grade 10
- Top grade 10 (regarding sports achievements, academic achievements and contribution to the community)
- Top grade 11 (regarding sports achievements, academic achievements and contribution to the community)
- Grade 11 GPA of 98%
- Member of SD43 Student Leadership Council in grades 7-9
- Co-Chair of SD43 Student Leadership Council in grade 9
- School District Spoken Word Silver Medalist in grade 10
- Participation in a Focus Group where I represented the voice of Riverside Secondary
Work and Volunteer Experience:
Strawberries and Sunshine Healing Centre:
- Therapist: Responsible for engaging children of all ages and abilities to complete specific exercises for their sensory systems and their primitive reflexes
- Receptionist: Responsible for scheduling appointments, collecting payment, submitting insurance claims, as well as opening and closing the clinic
Move 4 Mana:
- An initiative that supports healthy living within the participants; their success will ultimately send Ready to Use Therapeutic Food packets to severely acute malnourished children in Somalia
- Responsible for writing the assembly script, presenting at the assembly and for bringing in members of the community to run activities and games to support active living
- Fundraising for the Me to We movement (6 years)
- Elementary school soccer camp where I helped to lead
- Grade eight orientation day leader
- Digital Bootcamp Leader and Speaker (2 years)
- Participation in adaptive technology events in collaboration with the Neil Squire Society
- Top fundraiser for Terry Fox donations (2 years)
- Port Coquitlam Soccer Jamboree Tournament Volunteer
- Kiddies Corner Preschool Volunteer
- Port Coquitlam U6 Girls Soccer Coach
Personal Interests: Team Sports
Soccer: Actively playing for 12 years, at a competitive metro level for 8 years and a provincial level for 2 years. Provincial champions 3 times, silver medalists once, bronze medalists once. Recognized by City of Port Coquitlam for these achievements
Softball: Actively playing for 11 years, at a competitive level for 8 years. Provincial champions once, silver medalists once, bronze medalists once
- Soccer: Provincial tournament participation (7th place during my freshman year and 11th place during my sophomore year). Sr. Girls Soccer Hat Trick Hero Award 2017-2018. Guildford Park 2018 Senior Girls Soccer Tournament All Star
- Volleyball: Grade 9 Girls Volleyball district champions. Grade 10 Girls Volleyball Team Spirit Award 2018-2019