What would an ethic of care towards the environment look like?
- What would be needed to create it?
- People would need to recignize that the environment requires care from us, and let that govern their actions.
- What would we have to believe about the environment? How should we see it?
- we would have to believe that we can impact the environment, either positively or negatively, through our actions. We would have to see it as being dependant on us.
- How would we act? – give scenarios
- We would do something if we saw a positive way to impact the environment, eg. pick up litter. We would avoid actions that could negatively impact the environment, eg. Clear-cut logging.
- What would be different about the world if everyone adopted this ethic of care towards the environment? Benefits and drawbacks?
- The environment would be improved and protected. A complete focus on the environment could crowd out other important issues.
- Should we adopt an ethic of care towards the environment?
- It should not be completely adopted, but a more caring attitude toward the environment would be beneficial.
One comment on “Ethic of Care”
Yes, care would require that we recognize the environment is in need of care, I agree. I might even add that we need to see how we are dependent on the environment and if we see that, we might be more likely to care for that which sustains us. What might those other, more important issues be?