The Future of PoCo
This project will be done in groups of NO MORE than 3. You may work on your own if you wish. A city counselor or the mayor may be sitting in to watch your presentations!
- Choose one of the following local topics. Make sure that it is an issue you care/ feel strongly about.
- Population growth
- WHAT IS? Research/observe the current situation in PoCo. Assess the positives and the negatives of the current situation in regards to your vision of what should be.
- WHAT COULD BE? Speculate on the possible future scenarios if the trends continue.
- WHAT SHOULD BE? What needs to be done to the city to create your vision of “what should be”? Explain how the city will benefit because of your recommendation.
- Research Statcan to see how fast population is growing:
- If it’s growing too quickly, what are the possible scenarios that may occur? (eg: schools? parks and rec? waste?)
- Research school capacities and whether or not it can accommodate the number of students
- Suggest the size of school and justification of location based on population demographics
Poverty/Standard of Living
- Research Statcan and GVRD Real Estate Board to see if incomes can support the increase in housing prices
- What are the possible scenarios if the trend continues?
- Suggest a size, type and location of development to accommodate the population increase based on the demographic data and maps.
- Research commuting stats from Statcan and observe traffic/public transit usage and availability.
- What are the possible outcomes of too much congestion? (eg: idle time?)
- Research how much CO2 is released while idling
- Suggest a new transit plan with locations and infrastructure that would ease congestion (may need to research where people are trying to get to).
|Not Yet Meeting||Minimally Meets||Meets||Exceeds|
(population pyramid, dependency ratio, growth rate, density/ distribution, poverty, standard of living, climate change, freshwater)
-no research to base future proposal off of
-future proposal has no base in observations or research
-future proposal is irrelevant
-research/ observations are minimal
-future proposal is loosely connected to research
-future proposal is too generic or too impractical
-well documented research/observations
-clear justification for future proposal
-well thought out future proposal
-considers multiple sources of data to describe current state
-clear justification of future proposal directly connected to research
-future proposal is thoroughly thought out and is practical
Clarity of communication