Production of Vaccines, Antibiotics, and Hormones
Describe the technology
Vaccines aim is to weaken the virus that has been introduced to the organism then to stimulate the organism’s immune system. In the modern world of biotechnology, to get the antigen would be to use the genes of the microorganism that were put in the vectors. When the vaccine is inside the body it stimulates the immune system to fight off the attacking disease or virus.
As antibiotics were once described as molecule that would stop the growth of other microbes. They destroy diseases caused by bacteria. Antibiotics are naturally produced by fungi. Like penicillin. By reproducing fungi cells, antibiotics are able to be produced on a large scale.
Hormones are created by glands like the pancreas. The pancreas creates hormones which would control the blood sugar in the organism. Artificial hormones created by scientists and doctors can be a supplemented into the person’s body if needed.
The greatest advancement,
The greatest advancement in biotechnology would be penicillin. I chose this antibiotic because before penicillin there was no treatment to fight off infections. This medical advancement was the first of its kind to be introduced into the medical world.
How is this changing the world?
People all over the world use vaccines, antibiotics and hormones and will continue to use them. But there is always a disease or a virus that has not yet been cured. Throughout the world lots of people work on creating a new cure for different diseases. The advancement in the medical biotechnology world has impacted the world a lot by saving people’s lives.
- Healthy Living
- This year, I am ___in minor league hockey, hockey academy, and PE 10_____ to meet DPA requirements (150 mins/week of moderate to vigorous physical activity).
- Next year, I will ___be in minor league hockey, hockey academy, and PE 11_____ to meet DPA requirements.
- Other than physical activity, I will also need a concrete plan for healthy eating__ and __stress management_____ in order to lead a healthy life after graduation.
- Course Credits
- I need __80__ credits to graduate. A typical course is worth __4__ credits.
- __48__ of them must be from required courses.
- __28__ of them must be from electives.
- __16__ of them must be from Grade 12 courses.
- At the end of this year, I will have __36__ credits.
- I need __80__ credits to graduate. A typical course is worth __4__ credits.
- Community Connections
- I need __30__ hours of work/volunteer experience. To show I completed this, I must show proof in the form of pay stub_____ or _reference letter____.
- I can start accumulating these hours in Grade __10-12__.
- My plan to earn work/volunteer hours is through _a job as a cashier, stocking shelves at grocery store. Work at clothing store. Volunteer at city with learn to skate __(be specific to where you would like to work, or where you plan on volunteering your time)______.
- I will also need to complete a reflection that includes __employability __, ___skill, and _a response It will be __200__ typed words minimum.
- Career and Life
- In addition to updating my resume, I will also create post secondary plan_ and _financial___ to show that I have a plan in place after graduation.
- When I graduate, my current plan is to go to UBC Engineering____(work/go to college or trades school or university/travel/other (specify).
- To prepare for the interview, I can look at the questions ahead of time. They are found _on the riverside home page____.
- My interview will be with my RAP teacher___.
- The 3 people at Riverside who are here to help with this process are:
- Mr. Ahmelich
- Mrs. David
In Grade 12, I will find all the necessary documents AND submit them onto the GT website.
I will complete Grad Transitions 12 whenever I have ___English 12_. If I have it in 1st semester, I must complete everything except the interview before __Winter Ball_. In 2nd semester, everything except the interview must be completed before __Grad dinner__.
This article is from CTV news and shows negative side of Canada’s multiculturist. A man attack a women who was wearing a hijab and ripped it off her. This shows the negative part of Canada and the parts that pop up that still astonish the
This is a festival in Vancouver that shows that people want to and are able to celebrate their culture and also show off their pride in what they believe in, and what their heritage is.
I do think Canada is a multicultural country because we allow and accept all walks of life. Even if there are bad and racist things the good out ways the bad.
This is my autobiography about important people and events that has happened in my life.
Three things I will do to stay safe at work is, wear all needed safety equipment, if I don’t know how to use a machine ask my supervisor to help me, and make sure there is nothing wrong with the safety equipment.
Two things I will do to keep others safe at work would be making sure you have a plan with your co-workers in case of an emergency and make sure all workers are trained properly.
Matthews story resonates with me the most because it was very serious and made me realize the seriousness of the workplace. It does show me that you should always get the proper training form the professional and I learned that you should stand up for yourself if you are asked to do unsafe work.
Racism. Has it changed? Yes, but not enough. We now live in a civilization where black people have the same rights a white person. However, we still have racism in our world today. Racism has changed with people believing in the equality of black people and having laws that treat black people equally. Racism, in the past, wasn’t illegal, but it was normal, with white families owning slaves, and treating them horribly as well. Even after the Civil War, the government and the white southerners had laws against black people, putting the white people above anyone else. For example, The Jim Crows laws made it legal for racial segregation against black people. This took place in the southern US. They had separated white people and coloured people, using different sections for black people on buses and trains, and making them go to different schools. The segregation on the bus led to The Montgomery Bus Boycott. This action protested the government with the separation and the mistreatment of black people. Racism has changed over time. Black people were given the same Human Rights and equality of treatment that white people had. Martin Luther King was a huge activist for the black community and became a well-known leader in the Civil Rights Movement. Other people and groups like Malcom X and The Black Panther group fought against racism and segregation. However, even though laws have changed and some racist attitudes have changed over time, there is still racism and stereotyping in our world. The treatment of black people and other non-white people still exists in our society today.
Sonnet 116 Analysis
In Sonnet 116 by William Shakespeare, he talks about love and how it is everlasting. He brings forth this message through the literary devices of metaphor, personification and paradoxes. In his sonnet, he says “Love’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks” Here, he uses metaphor to tell us that love will not diminish over time. Even though we age, love will persist. He also uses personification when he says “Love is not love/which alters when it alteration finds, / Or bends with the remover to remove.” This quote shows that love “alters”, “bends”, and “removes”. This are human qualities which love cannot actually possess. A paradox Shakespeare uses is “Within his bending sickle’s compass come; /Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks, / But bears it out even to the edge of doom.” This is an absurd statement that may actually turn out to be true. In real life, love may very well persist until death. In Shakespeare’s sonnet, he uses several devices to show how love is deep, rich and everlasting.
In the story Sam the Athlete, by Stuart Mclean, we are introduced to Sam as a nervous and anxious boy going into middle school but, we see that he grows into more of a confident person. The author describes Sam through his actions and what others and his dialogue are. He is a dynamic character in that he goes through change and makes a difference in the story. In the beginning I would describe Sam as a nervous person who is worried about school, teachers and fitting in. The narrator talks about the different sports Sam has tried and most of them failed. Like when he tried out for a soccer team, he tried to stay away from the ball and go where everyone else goes but he gets to tired and completely loses track of anything that’s happening. “He inevitably fell behind the pack…”Saying that Sam is not a good athlete. I would also describe Sam as a dreamer. I say that because he is left out of a lot of the sports and even when his mom bought him “fast” shoes and told him to go for a run he had his imagination think it was a gunshot starting a race. Sam could be described as accepting as well. When Sam’s dad walked I on Sam when he had the skirt on, Sam told his Dad that he had accepted just going with the skirt and he doesn’t care because he is a part of something. “Like it? I love it” said Sam.” In the end when Sam continued to play for the field hockey team, he gained a lot of confidence and being dressed like a girl.