- Unlike The Great war where Canada joined without hesitation for Britain, when France and Britain declared war on Germany Canada took time to review their options. King who wanted to fight in the war decided he would consult Parliament. Although King and the Minister of Justice from Quebec, Lapointe did not agree on conscription, they did agree that joining the war was needed.
- i) British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) was created to train pilots and flight personnel from the British Empire came to Canada to train with British instructors. Airfields were built on the Prairies for training. ii) C.D. Howe was an industrialist who was known as the “Minister of Everything”. He was given this name because he was put in charge of everything that had to do with the economy to become ready for war. He was able to make manufactures make things they have never made before to benefit the war. For example, car industries were producing tanks. If private companies did not produce what was being asked, Howe was able to create corporations with the governments approval.
- By the time it was WW2, Canadians wanted to help and fight for Britain but they did not want to feel forced to or even obligated. The French citizens still did not want to be forced into war but they felt like Canada could contribute help. During these times when the king and queen would visit Canada, the citizens looked excited to see them and went out of their ways to welcome them, meaning many people still wanted to fight for the royal family.
This fad diet is called the Mediterranean diet, it is from southern Europe and focuses on the eating habits of those from Crete, Greece, and southern Italy. This diet is based heavily on lots of plant based foods, fruits for dessert, beans, nuts, whole grain, seeds, and olive oil as the main source of fat. The main source of dairy is yogurt and cheese, for protein it Is mostly fish and chicken with little amounts of red meat. 4 eggs a week are also recommended. Also wine is encouraged to be drunken in small to moderate amounts.
The Mediterranean diet is actually considered the worlds healthiest diet which may result in its popularity. Currently, south France, Spain, and Portugal practice this diet regularly despite the fact that Portugal does not even touch the Mediterranean sea. The fact that wine is encouraged could also result in how popular it is. People who have researched this diet have also concluded that this diet is less expensive compared to western oriented diets
There are certain cons to this diet, those being that when the Mediterranean diet it being explained it uses terms as measurements. For example, the words like “low to moderate”, “often”, and “abundance” do not give exact amounts which may confuse those starting this diet. Also, wine is very encouraged in this diet, however, many people are not able to do so, like those that are underage, pregnant, or on certain medication.
Long terms effects of eating based on this diet are less risk of cancer and less likely to have heart disease.
Personally I do not think I could keep up to this diet for long, although there is a large variety of foods that are available that fit this diet I cannot see myself eating a lost of beans and greens, I think there are easier diets to follow such as the keto diet for example.xa
1. (from left to right based on the comic)
2. austria and germany are in an alliance with each other known as the “dual alliance”. this happened because Germany wanted to isolate France
Russia, Bristain, and France were in a triple entente with each other for protection. Serbia is also a country not to be asscociated with Austria-Germany.
3. Due to nationalism Serbia wants to become independant from Austria
4. All 3 of these countries were imperialistic, all wanting to expand their empires, however out of the 3 France was the least successful
5. at the time these were the 2 biggest naval armies and were constantly in competition for the largest army but Britain had their “two power standard to ensure their army was larger then the 2nd and 3rd biggest army
6. Serbia sent assassins to kill the archduke of Austria. With Germany’s support Austria offers an ulimatum however Serbia does not agree causing Austria to declare war on Serbia. Russia already prepared for this war before the declaration to help Serbia. Germany declares war on France. France orders general mobilaztion. Germany invades Belguim who are neutral but by doing so Britain declares war on Germany for violating their neutrality.
7. The comic may be in the perspective of the British because Serbia is depicted as small and someone who needs help as seen by Russia. The title is sarcastic due to the fact that the countries or “friends” are providing back up or support for people who are in way picking on them or bullying.
Although this reflection is slightly different from the last due to spring break, it does not take away from the labs my group and I worked on during this past months. For this reflection I chose to reflect on the Gaufre de Bruxelles. I chose this lab because I have never been big on breakfast foods, especially waffles but I actually found these quite enjoyable compared to my past experiences with lower quality waffles such as Eggo. I think the waffles turned out the way as hoped, they had really nice browning to add a crunch, however the biggest downfall to the recipe I found was that the waffles were really rich and oily. With all of the labs I did with my group I think we always work well together. My group members were all quite familiar with the expectation for a waffle. Its always a pleasure to work with a group who will either volunteer or delegate tasks in a polite way, making the lab go by efficiently. If I had the opportunity to do this lab again I would love to experiment with this recipe incorporating it in a savory meal like with bacon for breakfast or chicken and waffles which is something I have heard a lot about and is usually highly recommended.
- although there is no cure for HIV, currently we have the medicine to at least decrease the chances of the child carrying the virus from the parent. This will lead not having to pay for future medical expenses therefore not only saving money but also enabling these children have a greater chance of being able to work once old enough
- child labour is not an ideal solution for finical issues but we do recognize that there are family that do rely on these children’s income therefore a suitable solution would be at least providing meals to these children and break for these children to play and learn.
- to help break inequality for women, providing the same quality and amount of education that is provided to men will be beneficial. this will eventually provide women with jobs and careers to provide for children when they are ready and not forced to have children