1. (from left to right based on the comic)
2. austria and germany are in an alliance with each other known as the “dual alliance”. this happened because Germany wanted to isolate France
Russia, Bristain, and France were in a triple entente with each other for protection. Serbia is also a country not to be asscociated with Austria-Germany.
3. Due to nationalism Serbia wants to become independant from Austria
4. All 3 of these countries were imperialistic, all wanting to expand their empires, however out of the 3 France was the least successful
5. at the time these were the 2 biggest naval armies and were constantly in competition for the largest army but Britain had their “two power standard to ensure their army was larger then the 2nd and 3rd biggest army
6. Serbia sent assassins to kill the archduke of Austria. With Germany’s support Austria offers an ulimatum however Serbia does not agree causing Austria to declare war on Serbia. Russia already prepared for this war before the declaration to help Serbia. Germany declares war on France. France orders general mobilaztion. Germany invades Belguim who are neutral but by doing so Britain declares war on Germany for violating their neutrality.
7. The comic may be in the perspective of the British because Serbia is depicted as small and someone who needs help as seen by Russia. The title is sarcastic due to the fact that the countries or “friends” are providing back up or support for people who are in way picking on them or bullying.