I was a salesman who worked hard every day, but I got fired because no one wanted to buy my products. I had a wife and two sons, it was a wonderful family. But both of my sons always against with me when they are getting older, my wife talked too much, and she is getting old, too. It wasn’t my fault to cheat, it is all their fault to let me cheat, but I still feel guilty about it when I go home. I wanted to be nice to my family, I wanted to make more money for my family, and I also wanted to be honest to my family, but I can’t do it! Will my family have a better life if I killed myself? Guest what, my death will bring more money than what I got now. I can’t give my family a better life, I can’t do it, but I hope my sons can. However, they don’t know me, they don’t know how I cares about them. They against me every single time when I wanted to talk with them. They are not two little boys anymore, they should get a good job same as me, and do better than me. They say I am crazy and too proud to say I am a looser, but I am not. I am not crazy, I just want to give my family a better life. I am not a looser and I am not proud either. I am not done yet, I still have a chance to make a lot of money for my family.
“I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” is a free verse written by Maya Angelou. Her reflections on the society and the times she lived in are vividly expressed in her poetry. Outwardly the poem can be seen as a reflection on social difference, and the ideals of freedom and justice. The metaphor of birds, represents the inequality of justice seen in the society which differentiates between the African-American community and its White American counterpart. Through the poem, she also explain the nature of both freedom and captivity by creating a contrast between the two using birds as the metaphor. The poem is describing the state of two birds, where one is free and dares to claim the sky, while the other is caged in his bar of rage. Angelou puts emphasis on the lamentable state of the caged bird, and contrasts this with that of the free bird.
source: 1. Darwin was Right
2. human with tails
3. V for Vendetta
This is the post that has a four quotes. The quotes are describing the important locations in Lord of the Flies.
- Scar: “All round him the long scar smashed into the jungle was a bath of heat” (Golding 6).
- The coral reef: “the coral reef and the few stunted palms that clung to the more elevated parts would float up into the sky” (Golding 81).
- Beach: “The shore was fledged with palm trees. These stood or leaned or reclined against the light and their green feathers were a hundred feet up in the air” (Golding 10).
- Platform: “Ralph sat on a fallen trunk, his left side to the sun. On his right were most of the choir; on his left the larger boys who had not known each other before the evacuation; before him small children squatted in the grass” (Golding 43).
- Site where Ralph and Piggy find the conch: “little breezes crept over the polished waters beneath the haze of heat. When these breezes reached the platform the palm fronds would whisper, so that spots of blurred sunlight slid over their bodies or moved like bright, winged things in the shade” (Golding 17-18).
- Island: “This an island. At least I think it’s an island. That’s a reef out in the sea” (Golding 7).
- Lagoon: “Within the irregular arc of coral the lagoon was still as a mountain lake—blue of all shades and shadowy green and purple” (Golding 10).
- Sea: “That is a reef out in the sea” (Golding 2).
- Shape: “It was roughly boat-shaped: humped near this end with behind them the jumbled descent to the shore” (Golding 38).
- Mountain: “…his eyes and followed the jagged outline of the crags up toward the mountain. This part of the beach was nearer the mountain than any other that they had seen” (Golding 33).
… The thunder rumbled, Mitty looked at the sky. It winded hard and rained heavily.
… “Put the canvas away, we are going through the storm!” Mitty shouted. Pandemonium broke loose on the ship, “We can’t do it, captain,” a strong man looked flustered, “How…how can we go through the big storm by a small ship?” The thunder rumbled again, loud and deterrent, getting closer and closer. The wave became bigger and bigger, it was almost two floors height. “We need to go through it, otherwise, we will be caught into the wave!” Mitty shouted again, worried if someone can’t hear him, “Repeat again, we need to…” suddenly, Mitty fell off from the ship and get into the water.
… Mitty fell off from the bridge while he wasn’t noticed when he was walking. He was struggling to swim to the bank, he even didn’t know how to swim. “I am drowned, is there anyone can help me?” Mitty wanted to speak loudly to ask for help, but every time he opened his mouth, the water came into his lung from his mouth and nose. Am I going to die? Mitty quit to fight with the water, he smiled disdainful and inscrutable. Yeah, just like a sailor, die with the water. Mitty’s body sink into the water, deeper and deeper, until no one can find him anymore.