- Finish analyzing “Knock Off Native”
- We will begin the following assignment: Redskins Controversy
- For homework (Tuesday night)- finish “Knock Off” questions AND look up the meaning and history of the word “redskin” and the history of the logo.
- The paragraph will be due on Friday (I changed my mind)
- Finish spoken word
- Watch and analyze
- Knock Off Native– words and analysis
- Spoken Word exercise
- Stereotypes and the Indigenous Culture
Here is the inquiry project again: Inquiry for Identity
I will give you the first half of class to work on Spoken word. We will begin with some physical activities to get your brain going and your comfort level up (hopefully).
Remember- you perform on Thursday or Friday.
Then we will watch half of”Homecoming King”. How do stereotypes affect one’s identity? What are the conflicts that may arise when one is a new immigrant? How does Hasam feel about his identity as a Indo-American?
Review “What Kind of Asian…”
Analyze poems in your group.
- Choose ONE poem per partner
- Analyze as we did the our first poems. Write all over it!!!
- Answer the question: how does this poem reflect the identity of the writer?
Rest of the block to work on either 1. Spoken Word 2. Notes for your project.
Stereotypes- what are some common ones? How are they formed? What impact does it have on a person? On a culture?
- Test today… you have 50 minutes
- Brainstorm spoken word- I will lead you through this exercise. You need to have a topic to work with.
Look what I found- an Ode! Why is it an ode? Ode to a Mango
Spoken Word: Spoken Word Presentation
You need a topic by Monday!!!!!!
Reminder… you will have a test on Monday. It will include ALL of the poetic devices on this: poetry_terminology_11-
AND it will include “O’Me, O’Life” and “Captain, My Captain” AND Dead Poet’s Society. Go online and get an even deeper understanding of the two poems and how they relate to the movie.