Found this the other day…. watch if you have time.
- C and C Assignment Gr.11 Sem 2’19
- Compare and Contrast Example Royals vs Juicy
- C and C example
- Thesis statements gr 11
- Compare and Contrast- outline Block
- Introduction examples for compare and contrast
- Quotations Reference Sheet
- Quotes for practice formatting
- Rubric for compare and contrast essay updated
- Transition Words
Timeline: Monday/Wed/Thur/Fri- brainstorm, thesis writing, research, outline (due Monday). You may take this portion home for homework.
Monday 10-13th- IN CLASS WRITING ONLY. Due Thursday, June 13th at the end of the block.
- Persuasive paragraph examples
- “No Bikini” review
- Identity Unit review (me)
- Identity Unit review (you)
- Test will be on Tuesday. (make that Wednesday!!!!) We will start brainstorming the synthesis essay on Monday in the last half of the block.
- The test will include multiple choice and short answer questions. It will have questions about the poetic devices, the meaning of the sources, the plot, etc. Eg. Is the protagonist in “No Bikini” a dynamic or static character? Explain. (3 marks- for knowing the right answer, linking it to the story, and showing insight into the plot and big idea
- Review “50 Shades of Gay” and do the four questions.
- Spoken Word: What it feels like to be transgender
- Who has the right to tell the story? Is it appreciation or appropriation? https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/joseph-boyden
- Fifty shades of gay
- I am sorry I am absent today. A family issue has come up and I can’t be there. Please be nice to Mrs. Hui- she was my student teacher two years ago and she is really nice! She is also a biology teacher so if you have any questions…
- Read chapter 2 if you did not read it last night.
- This is the assignment for the day. Politics of Identity Note that this is the “handout” with examples but the student worksheet is #4.
- Here is the worksheet that you will email to me when you are done. The Politics of Identity worksheet. Note that there is a blog post at the end. Follow the directions closely, please.
- To sum it all up:
- Persuasive paragraph is due (printed) on Monday
- Worksheet on J. Boyden is to be emailed by Monday
- Blog post answering the question is to be Tagged by Monday.
- Have a good weekend. I will definitely see you on Monday.
Assignment: Redskins Controversy
This paragraph is due to be printed and in the green “Mark Me” box on Friday!!!
Homework: Read chapter 1 from “Three Day Road” by Joseph Boyden. You MUST read it by Friday before class.
- Quick review of the answers for “Knock off Native”
- X-block- google search the history of the logo.
- A-block- google search the history of the term “redskin”
- When done, put the main points of the videos into the chart. Point form is fine. Redskins Controversy
- Read “A heated linguistic debate” with your partner. There are many level 2-3 words- have your dictionary ready. Highlight the argument FOR changing the name in one colour and against in a different colour.
- Put in the main points on your chart.
- Can you find more arguments from other sources? Include them on your chart.
- Homework- be sure the chart is complete.
- This paragraph will be due on Friday. Have it printed for me.
- Finish analyzing “Knock Off Native”
- We will begin the following assignment: Redskins Controversy
- For homework (Tuesday night)- finish “Knock Off” questions AND look up the meaning and history of the word “redskin” and the history of the logo.
- The paragraph will be due on Friday (I changed my mind)