Here is the email I sent on Friday. If you did not get it or read it, here it is:
Hello English Studies 12 class,
Before I get into more details, I wanted to put this invitation to a TEAMS video check in first, so you won’t miss it. On Tuesday, April 7th– I want you to “play” with TEAMS. I have sent you all an email with an invitation to join the class. Feel free to explore this platform before our first video conference call on Tuesday. We will be doing a “check in” and Q & A with each other in small groups. Be ready to share a “feel good” story about something in the world or your own life. Please be on your computer with TEAMS loaded at your required time. These are your time slots:
1:50-2:10- Quinn, Lucy, Amir, Conor, David, Thea
2:10-2:30- Nyssa, Cassidy, Gracey, Kylee, Peter, Morgan
2:30-2:50- Gio, Jason, Maya, Clare, Tobiasz, Michael, Mark
2:50-3:10- Daisy, River, Ben, Owen, Hiroshisa, Julia, Brayden
Now for the rest of the email 😊I hope you are feeling both mentally and physically healthy right now. This has been a crazy few weeks! Remember how I said on the last day of school that there is no way the Ministry would cancel classes for longer than a week after Spring Break? Boy, was I ever wrong. I feel horrible for you senior students. I know you are probably mourning your grad activities more than the actual classes. For some of you, not seeing your friends is probably the hardest part. I am sure you are hearing it from your parents and the media already, but I encourage you to find connections best you can and capitalize on those. In the first week back, we will find and share the silver linings and the “feel good” stories of this pandemic to build our resiliency and hope.
You are probably curious how your continued learning is going to look in this class. I am committed to your education as I want you feeling confident and ready to tackle your post-secondary aspirations in whatever form they may take. Even if you never have to write an essay again, you will have the skills to communicate effectively in whatever career you choose and to have a stronger understanding of the human condition (relevant in the best of times but especially in the worst of times). I am also aware that some of you may have extra stress or must look after younger siblings. If you have any obstacles that can hinder your learning during this time, please email me and let me know. I can adapt to suit your unique needs.
As you may know, the Ministry is asking for 3 hours per subject per week. I will be keeping to these guidelines but there will be extra time needed for reading (this is English class, after all). Here is a breakdown of the NEW English 12 class:
- We will be following the same block schedule as school. I will be teaching via TEAMS video conferencing at this time (1:50-3:10). I will NOT be teaching every day, but there will be days when you are required to video conference with your classmates. There will be days when you are independently writing or reading, and you can do that whenever you want. Each week will look different.
- No Red Ink- I will be assigning this often as it is the best online tool I can find that teaches grammar and mechanics. I will also use GrammarBytes. There will be no tests. The “test” is how you write your essays 😊
- My blog is how I will communicate the “Shape of the Day” and we will use TEAMS and OneNote.
- Free writing in response to this moment in history. This can be journaling, poetry writing, or short story writing.
- Writing analysis– reading a variety of narrative essays and analyzing the writing style
- Using this knowledge to write your own narrative essay
- Literature Circles–
- Learning and applying literary lens to your novel
- Personal connections and responses to your novel
- Arts or Science based responses to your novel
- Discussing the novel with your group (video conferencing)
- Connecting with students from other parts of Canada or USA when discussing this novel (still trying to set this up)
- Research Synthesis Essay #2
- PechaKucha OR Spoken Word- perform in front of your family OR your peers (more information to come)
- Multi-media inquiry project (keep watching Netflix and music videos. More information to come)
Please know that I may have to change or adapt this based on our new reality. Be patient and don’t be afraid to email me, or even better, reach out through video conferencing on TEAMS.
I look forward to seeing your lovely faces on my computer screen on Tuesday.
Please take care and give your family a hug.