In science we made a 3-D model of a Oscillating water column, a power generator that uses wave power.
Below is the 3-D model and two pictures with colour and more details.
- What problem is your technology trying to solve?
The oscillating water column was created to make a good renewable energy source that won’t do any harm to nature and doesn’t use up our resources.
- Form and Function: What are its main parts and what do the parts do? How does it use or generate electricity? How do electrons move through it?
The structure consists of a big chamber, the walls of the chamber have an opening under water. The wave energy travels underwater into the chamber pushing the air in it up. The air goes through a turbine spinning it. When the water recedes, the air is sucked back in spinning the turbine once again. The turbine then creates electricity.
- What are the social implications? (How does it affect people?) Consider less developed countries and locations with different climates or geography.
The oscillating water column makes a lot of noise and can disturb people living nearby. This generator has to be on the shore, so it cannot be constructed inland. It also cannot be constructed somewhere protected from the waves.
- What are the environmental implications? (How does it affect the natural world?)
This form of energy is safe for wildlife. The only problem is that it makes a lot of noise that can disrupt wildlife, this problem would probably affect only species that live on ground. There are no moving parts in the water, so no animals will get injured by it. The structure itself acts like an artificial reef and can act like a home for certain animals.
- Given the strengths and weakness of your technology, is it a satisfactory solution to the problem it is trying to solve?
It is a good solution, it can supply towns further away from the shore, connecting the station through wires further away, but not too far. It also greatly benefits islands which are too far out to be connected to land. It causes no harm to wildlife and it won’t disturb you unless it is next door. It also doesn’t pollute, and it uses wave power, which is created by wind, which is created by the sun, so it will never run out.
This is my math project where I tell you all about exponents.I talk about what exponents are, about different laws to use, how to use them in equations and different ways to use them in measurement and growth problems. I hope you enjoy my project.
This is my reflection for the project
This is the evaluation for my project about Charles the 1st and the civil war.