a) Briefly describe your new and improved idea, by incorporating ideas and/or feedback.
This year, rather than delivering information to students about various things happening in the school, we want to expand our influence by engaging more with the Rapid community through showcasing what makes Riverside, Riverside. We also want to help students become more involved with the community by connecting with local organizations to distribute information about various events and initiatives relevant to RSS students, as well as making it easier for students to access all relevant information through the publication of a weekly newsletter.
b) Answer the following questions:
What problems might we run into?
- Teenagers are difficult to engage with, so we might not see as much engagement as we like.
- As we rely on getting information from other organizations in the school and community, we may find some difficulty in getting that information in a timely manner.
- We want to try a lot of new things this year, and some of those new things will work better than others. Navigating the best way to showcase Riverside will be a challenge, but I’m sure we can make it work.
What skills do we need to complete this project? How can we attain these skills?
- Consistency! We need to make sure we stay on top of posting and outreach. By having more people on the team this year, we can all help each other out and remind each other about our tasks.
- Public relations (PR): how do you engage with large groups of people through social media? Alongside tech savviness, we will need to look at other successful social media platforms and see what they do. Learn from the pros!
c) Create a brief timeline of key things that need to happen to ensure successful completion of your project. What happens next?
First two weeks of January
- Connect with Athletic Leadership to receive updates on sporting events
- Start up newsletter. Get rapidevent on the RAP emailing list and establish format for newsletter. This will be one person’s specific task.
- Maybe: partner with the Eddy to keep a consistently updating stream of relevant information on riversideeddy.ca
Month of January
- Throwback Thursdays! Encourage teachers to send us photos of themselves from when they were young(er), and post them. The goal is to engage more followers with rapidevent.
Before Spring Break
- Promo Video: Create a short video advertising the social media. Encourage students/parents/community members to follow.
- Reach out to community organizations, offering up our services to advertise their initiatives to the school.