A partner and I chose to do our power connections project on our school. We chose to look into how our school is being energy efficient and find some answers to questions we may have about it.
The first ting we did was write up a proposal with some questions we have and things we would like to find out about our subject.
Some questions we wanted to have answered were:
What is the school doing already to save electricity/energy?
What uses the most energy in our school?
How are we working to improve the intake/consumption of electricity?
Are there any perks to the amount of electricity we use? disadvantages?
Why does our school promote the 1:1 system?
Could the 1:1 system be improved in any way?
How is the 1:1 system improving our school?
Is there a possibility of our school being to energy efficient?
We then put our heads together to decide who would be doing what part of our project and some general guidelines and ideas.
We decided to interview the principal of our school, Mr. Ciolfitto to ask him about our school and possibly get answers for our questions we had. we arranged a date, and after some rescheduling met with him for an interview about our project. first by email, then in person. Here is a link to the audio of our interview if you would like to know all of the information and answers to our questions:
After our interview we decided we wanted to do a video representation of our meeting with Mr. Ciolfitto. We drew out a mind map and timeline of how we wanted our video to look and used that as our outline for our video.
We put together a video slightly different then the original format. After a few altercations and work, out came a video worthy of the viewing of our classmates! (and Mr. Ciolfitto)
In class today we did a lab including different types of fruits and vegetables. In the experiment we created a circuit using a lemon as a battery and hooked up two wires from it to a volt meter. One the two wires connected to the lemon, one wire acted as the negative electrode while the other acted as the positive electrode. One end attached to a copper wire was stuck in the lemon while the other had a piece of zinc attached to the wire and stuck in the other end. This circuit seemed to be used the most and the most effective.
We noticed at the beginning of the experiment, none of the led lights/light bulbs would light up. This was also true for other groups as no one else’s lights would light up. it wasn’t until later that we found out by reading the box, the lights only work when more 2 or more volts are produced. Our fruits didn’t even come close to that which is why they didn’t light. Since the electrons didn’t flow through the bulb we used a volt meter.
We did this experiment with more then one type of fruit/vegetable. We conducted our experiment with both a lemon and a potato. We observed when our fruit/veggie battery was hooked up to a volt meter that the lemon was negatively charged, while the potato was positively charged. I think this was because in the lemon, the negative electrode collected more electrons then the positive electrode, making the lemon emanate a negative charge. the opposite applies to the potato.
I don’t know if this would be the best way to combat the “next big thing” in clean energy because there’s so many better things the foods used could contribute to in other areas. Yes it acts like a battery but it’s also really weak and produces under one volt. To make it the next big thing you would need a lot of that food. Also instead of wasting food to power electronics, the food could be given to people that actually need it. I would rather the industry works on stopping world hunger then using the very thing that can help stop it for gadgets.