Before we studied the Indian Act in class, I knew that the First nations children were treated bad in the residential schools.
5 ideas I learned about the Indian Act are:
- They had a status card that gave them benefits
2. They lived on reserves that were not maintained well
3. The first nations women would loose their status if they married another person with a different culture
4. They had to have permission to leave reserves
5. They got diseases when the family’s got bigger since the reserves were compact.
One Question I have is how many first nations are left in Canada.
I am going to use this information I learned to teach other generations about the Indian Act to stop the stereotypes about the First Nations and not to repeat history.