1) What questions did you need to research in order to research your topic?
What is an oligodendrocyte?
Why are oligodendrocytes important?
Where are oligodendrocytes found?
What do oligodendrocytes do?
2) What new or familiar digital tools did you try to use as you worked through this project?
I used Google as well as Gale Engaged Learning to find my information.
3) What was the process you used to investigate the topic?
I established questions first. After I searched up oligodendrocyte to see what would come up on Google and Gale. Next, I made questions and researched.
4) How did you verify and site the information you found?
For the information I found on Gale, I did not verify the information because I know it’s already pre-filtered for me. On Google, I checked the article date and it’s author. I also checked the website and what it was about. I verified by checking a few other sites to see if the same information was given.
5) How did the process of completing this challenge go? What could you have done better?
The process was relatively easy for me because I have some experience with this. I did a couple of things in my English class, which was first semester, about finding valuable information so I did not struggle with this challenge. I think I could have used more websites on the school library page rather than going on Google but the information I found on Google was easier for me to understand.
(Information was taken from the Laundry Detergent Experiment – Science 9 – Block B – Semester 2 – Mr. Horton for this post. )
The challenge that I investigated was which laundry detergent cleans better. Does a higher price point always equal a better clean? Or does it have something to do with the ingredients? I investigated by using warm water and multiple laundry detergents with a coffee stained rag stain.
15 ml of each Detergent using Hot Water
Hypothesis: We think that the more expensive detergent will wash better because of its higher price point.
Procedure (Stirring for 10 Minutes Each)
Stain rag with Coffee the day before.
Cut up rag into 5 pieces.
Wash a rag in hot water using NO DETERGENT (Control Group).
Wash a rag in hot water using 15 ml of Detergent (No Name Brand).
Wash a rag in hot water using 15 ml of Detergent (Tide).
Wash a rag in hot water using 15 ml of Detergent (Sunlight).
Wash a rag in hot water using 15 ml of Detergent (Woolite).
Compare to see Results!
The first question I asked were what ingredients were in the laundry detergents? Did laundry detergents with a certain ingredient clean better than with a one that didn’t have the certain ingredient? With some research, I was able to find the ingredients for Tide, Sunlight and Woolite but could not find the ingredients of the No Name brand.
All of the detergents have a variety of ingredients. Since Tide cleaned our rag the best, I believe that it perhaps may not be a certain ingredient that cleans the best but rather the number of ingredients. Compared to the other detergents that we know the ingredients of, Tide has the most. More ingredients could mean a better clean but this may not be the best. Too many chemicals is not beneficial to our health and we must lookout for the harmful ingredients in the detergents we buy.
The second question I asked was how long should we wash our rags for to see the results? If we didn’t wash the rags long enough we would not see any results but we also didn’t want to be washing our rags for too long. I found that 10 minutes is enough time for the stain to dissolve and we were able to see the results.
10 Minute Timer – Ready to go!
Rag in Woolite Detergent
Rag in Tide Detergent
Rag in No Name Brand Detergent
Rag in Sunlight Detergent
Rag in Water
After the rags dried over the weekend, my group concluded that the Tide detergent cleaned best. Although the stain was not completely gone, it had mostly faded away. Though I must admit, the other detergents came close to Tide. My hypothesis was proved wrong by these results. I felt confident that Woolite will clean best because it was quite expensive compared to the price of the other detergents. This experiment showed a good example of how a higher price point does not always equal better quality.
As reflected in the post, I am proud of how well the experiment went and the results and work produced was of high quality. A lot of time and effort was put into the experiment and the hard work definitely payed off!
The first step to successfully accomplishing the project was to create our group contract. We began by determining the strengths of each of our group members. Andrea’s strength was adaptability. She is able to adapt quickly to any situation or circumstance. Claire’s strength was time-management. She manages time well which helps us use our time wisely. Theo’s strength is creativity. As an artist, she thinks out of the box and can help use find new techniques to win. My strength is leadership. I took on the leadership role because I like to be a leader and help my team as much as possible. Next, we divided the work. Theo and Claire were racers. Andrea was the reporter and I was the timer. We made a few rules regarding our collaboration. They were:
Try to give everyone an even amount of work to do. One person will not have to do all the work while the rest of the group members slack-off.
Listen to each other’s ideas. Even if you don’t necessarily agree with that idea or vision, listen and take away the parts you like and find a way to add it to your project.
Consider everybody’s ideas. This ties in with the second rule of respecting everybody’s ideas.
If these rules are not being followed, then the team member that doesn’t complete their part does not get marks for this assignment. On March 6th we completed all of our research and we raced on March 7th. Our initial goal was to try our best and win the fastest time in our block and that was exactly what we did!