Name of your host: Nancy Buckles Relationship to you: mom
- What is your job title? Student services teacher
- What is your job description? I support 7 primary classes. I provide skill, learning assistance, and EAL support. I either provide in-class support or take small groups to work in my classroom.
- What are the duties and/or tasks you perform at your job? I teach students in small groups or co-teach with the classroom teacher. I develop programs for the skill students. I help support the EA’s (Educational Assistant) and I write their schedule. I lead a weekly school based team meeting. I frequently meet with parents and/ or district support staff. I go outside for recess supervision. I am in charge of our sensory room and teach the EA’s how to use the room with students.
- What qualifications do you have for this job in the following areas:
- Training? First aid and lots of professional development workshops.
- Education? 6 years of post-secondary school at SFU
- Experience? I have been a teacher for 14 years.
- Skills and attributes (personal qualities)? I care about the students and take the time to build rapport with them. I participate in extra-curricular activities with the students.
- What are some of the things you like about your job? I really enjoy working with the students and watching them grow emotionally, socially, and academically. I enjoy learning new things at workshops.
- What are some of the things you dislike about this job? I dislike all of the paperwork. I would
rather spend the time working with kids.
- How do you anticipate this job changing in the next 5 years or so? I don’t think my job will change too much.
- Would you pick this career again? Yes I would because I really like my job and enjoy making a difference in children’s lives. I enjoy working with the students.
- Give three reasons why you would like this job?
- I liked working with the kids in small groups
- I liked taking the kids to the sensory room
- I like all of the vacation time (summer, Christmas, spring break)
- Give 3 reasons why you would not like this job?
- Teachers do not get paid enough
- There are a lot of kids that do not listen
- I don’t like talking in front of people
- Is this job for you? Why or why not?
No this job is not for me because it is boring and I don’t like talking in front of people.
- Explain the value of the TOKTW experience in relation to your ideas about your post secondary plans?
I thought it was a valuable experience because it was good to see what my mom’s job is and figure out that teaching is not for me. Right now I plan on going to post-secondary school but I am not sure what I want to do for a job.
This shows the students what they need to do and what it looks like to be done.
I was reading with 2 students and they answered comprehension questions.
I helped a student sound out the words so he could fill in the blanks.