From the novel LOTF, the character Robert can be described in very few ways. From the beginning, Robert wasn’t apart of the little’un’s, but wasn’t as big physically and as old as the older boys. He is Jacks sideman meaning he is trustworthy in others eyes. Robert is weaker and more vulnerable which he his picked on by the other hunters. His thoughts and suggestions are becoming inhumane from his influences and being out of an average society for so long. Robert is Tan and dirty, he is apart of the hunters so he probably has his face painted. His school clothes are ratty and made his pants into shorts. Below are quotes that can give a greater visual on Robert.
- “And then: about the fire.” Ralph let out his spare breath with a little gasp that was echoed by his audience. Jack started to chip a piece of wood with his knife and whispered something to Robert, who looked away” (61).
-In this scene, Ralph calls the group to an assembly after the hunters Robert is clearly one of Jack’s sidemen who he can trust.
2. For a moment or two Simon was happy to be accepted and then he ceased to think about himself. When he bashed into a tree Ralph looked sideways impatiently and Robert sniggered.
-This quote states that Robert has immaturity and finds little things funny.
3. “All at once, Robert was screaming and struggling with the strength of frenzy. Jack had him by the hair and was brandishing his knife”
4. -This quote states that Robert has fear and is smaller than Jacks strength and size.
5. Then they lay quiet, panting, listening to Robert’s frightened snivels. He wiped his face with a dirty arm, and made an effort to retrieve his status.
-This quote states that he is week.
6. Robert stabilized the thing in a phrase which was received uproariously. “Right up her ass!”
-This states that Robert is immature, going inhumane.
7. Maurice and Robert skewered the carcass, lifted the dead weight, and stood ready. In the silence, and standing over the dry blood, they looked suddenly furtive.
8. “That was Jack and Maurice and Robert,” said Ralph. “Aren’t they having fun?”
9. “He’s a proper chief, isn’t he?” Robert nodded
-He listens to others opinions and agrees with people who are socially above him.
10. “I don’t know. He didn’t say. He got angry and made us tie Wilfred up. He’s been”—he giggled excitedly—“he’s been tied for hours, waiting—”
-Robert is going crazy and finding amusement in the suffering of others.
11. “He jerked his head in the direction of the distant shelters where a thread of white smoke climbed up the sky. Roger, sitting on the very edge of the cliff, looked somberly back at the island as he worked with his fingers at a loose tooth. His gaze settled on the top of the distant mountain and Robert changed the unspoken subject.”
12. “Ralph too was fighting to get near, to get a handful of that brown, vulnerable flesh”(88).
Describes his tan skin from being on the island for so long.