In Science 10 we created a scientific scenario with fictional characters. I made up a scientific scenario from Dragon Ball.
Goku and Vegeta are very competitive fighters. They want to best each-other at power levels, but both stand at 5,000 power. They both start thinking of strategies to up their level. Vegeta thinks it would be best to stick to traditional physical training, but Goku thinks he has a better training method and wants to try and meditate. They both train in their respective way for a week and then compare power levels. Goku ends up at 5,500 power and Vegeta stands at 5,600.
- What was the two fighters’ initial problem?
- What was the control?
- What was the independent variable?
- What was the dependent variable?
- What was their conclusion?
- How can their method for finding the best strategy be improved?
- What was the two fighters’ initial problem? Their power was equal and they each needed a strategy to overcome the other.
- What was the control? How much sleep they got, how much they ate, how well they hydrated themselves…
- What was the independent variable? Their strategy
- What was the dependent variable? Their power level at the end of the week
- What was their conclusion? Traditional physical training is better for improving your power level.
- How can their method for finding the best strategy be improved? Have more equal level fighters try the same strategies. They can also swap strategies and try them again to see if they get the same results.