- DNA is composed of four basic molecules called nucleotides which are; guanine, cytosine, adenine and thymine. All are the same except they each have a different nitrogen base. DNA has two sides that are twisted together like and called a double helix. When two stands of DNA are run in opposite sides to each other this is called antiparallel. Guanine base and cytosine base are always paired and adinere base and thymine are always together.
- It helps model the structure because the different colours help represent each part of the DNA structure. Also we could use materials that are more alike to what the estructure would actually look like.
3. DNA replication ocurrs when the cell divides. The cell has to have two of everything. Ex. genetic information.
4. The first step to DINA replication is unwinding, this is when the helix unzips the two strands of DNA(breaking H-bonds). This happens the same way on the leading and lagging strand.
Second step is complimentary base pairing and this is when the DNA Polymerase matches up to each base on the complimentary pair. On the leading strand the action is continuous, but on the lagging strand the action must be achieved in sections because it must always go backwards.
The third step is joining. This is when the DNA ligase attaches onto the sugar phosphate backbone to the daughter strand. The leading strand is continuous and on the lagging strand it s done in fragments.
5. I personally thought the lab helped me because we were creating a 3D image of DNA and for me i learned from it. I did find part of the activity challenging, for example the pipe cleaners were hard to connect, but other then that i enjoyed it.
6. mRNA does not use thymine it uses uracil. mRNA is made up of rebose suegras and DNA is deoxyribose sugars. mRNA is also different because it is only one strand and is a lot shorter than DNA.
7.Transcription is the process by which DNA is copied to mRNA, which carries the information needed for protein synthesis.