Part 1: Mutation story- Down Syndrome
I am a gene inside of Alexa’s body. Alexa has Down syndrome. Alexa’s parents are genetically normal os what happened to Alexa was Trisomy21, which is when the 21st chromosome fails to separate during the egg or sperm formation. So the sperm or egg will have and extra copy of chromosome21. Once the egg and sperm come to form Alexa as an embryo, the embryo has 3 copies instead of the normal 2. The extra chromosome is now in all of Alexa’s cells. Alexa looks different than other kids her age. Alexa has slanted eyes, short for her age, has a wide face, short neck, and a protruding tongue. She has a flat nose, short hands, a space between her big toe and her second toe and abnormal ears. Alexa’s genetic disorder can be tested before her birth. Alexa took longer than other kids to start walking, she started walking at the age of 4 years old. Alexa will only live around 40-50 years old and has an increased risk of congenital heart disease, infection, dementia, and Alzheimer’s.
Part 2: The Making of Mutation Story
- a) What causes Down syndrome? b) how does it effect you? c) physical appearance of Down syndrome d) what are some risks? e) what happened to the gene? f) what is Down syndrome?
- google, and other websites that had the information I was looking for (I listed them down below) http://www.medicinenet.com/down_syndrome_overview/article.htmhttps://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjh-oOI_tDMAhVE6mMKHZllC3MQjhwIBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fqsota.com%2Fdown-syndrome%2F&psig=AFQjCNEtPkw3IkB63p-T_u87NEoWcn5-DQ&ust=1463020455673036&rct=jhttps://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/down-syndromehttps://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&source=images&cd=&ved=0ahUKEwjum5T9_tDMAhVFKGMKHd_QBMwQjhwIBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgenmed.yolasite.com%2Fgenetic-disorders.php&psig=AFQjCNGsvL7BeTrcONjh_8QquIXM92lugA&ust=1463020650596171&rct=j https://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/down/conditioninfo/Pages/causes.aspxhttp://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/down-syndromehttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromosome_21_(human)www.yourgenome.org/facts/what-is-downs-syndromehttp://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/down-syndrome/basics/causes/con-20020948
- I did research on my genetic mutation and wrote down notes and important information that helped me answer the questions. Once I got all the information I needed from the websites I started writing my mutiation story.
- I looked at a few different websites to see if they had the same answers. I copied the links of the websites I used to cite where I got my information from.
- The process was simple. I think I did really good. I researched my mutation and then wrote it into my mutation story.
I actually liked doing this project because I liked learning about Down syndrome and seeing how it’s actually caused. I could’ve maybe added more information to my story but other than that I think I did great on this assignment.