NOTE: This is not the whole Skype chat because the video started to glitch out so we had to take it off air.
Overview: Tanya Harrison is a planetary scientist and PHD student in Geology at the University of Western Ontario. She worked on the operations team for NASA’s Mars reconnaissance orbiter as well as the curiosity rover. During our google hangout with her she answered all of our questions about Mars and we learned a lot from this experience.
What I Learned:
- That there is evidence of flowing salt water on the surface of Mars
- That the Mars rovers travel at speeds around 0.2km an hour
- That it takes 8-40 minutes for the messages to reach the Mars rover
- That one of the rovers that reached Mars in 2004 is still working today
- That the curiosity rover is the same size as a SUV and has 6 wheels as well as multiple high quality cameras
Did I achieve my goal:
Yes I achieved my goal because I learned a lot from this experience and I was able to represent what I learned in a blog post.