For my project, I interviewed my art teacher from last semester: Miss Collins.
As an art teacher, she had to learn a variety of different forms and techniques in order to be able to do her job. From sculpting to print making, we learned a lot of stuff in just one semester. This class was especially fun for me because we got to try so many new things. I mean, normally I wouldn’t go out and buy lino blocks and carving tools, but this class gave me the opportunity to do that anyway.
The reason why I chose to interview Miss Collins, was because we share a passion for art. We both love creating things, and working with our hands. And of course, I knew her personnally as my art teacher, so it was easy to make a connection.
I learned a couple of things that I didn’t expect in this interview. The first, being some of the challenges Miss Collins faced while persuing her job. Like she said in the interview, she found it difficult to afford going to university, which is a slight concern of mine as well. It’s so expensive to pay for your own education, and I admire Miss Collins for perservering even when it was tough. That’s the next thing I learned, it’s good to persue your dreams, even if you don’t have suppot from your family or friends. It’s a good lesson for all of us, and I think I’ll have to keep that in mind when I try to find my dream job, which, actually has nothing to do with art. Art is a big part of my life, I draw and paint all the time. However, I also have an interest in science. But the reason I couldn’t find a scientist to
interview was because I could not think of anyone that had the specific job I was thinking of, and of course, art is my main hobby, and I couldn’t pass up the chance to catch up with my former teacher!
I think I will always love art, even if I find a different job. Like I said before, it’s a big part of my life, and giving it up just doesn’t seem like an option for me. I think my passion for art will stay with me for as long as I live. Creativity never dies!
The first two images were sculptures made in Miss Collins art class, the second two were made by some of her other students.
Video title: Can a multiverse ever be real?
By: Mike Merrifield
Date published: January 4, 2015
Link: http://learn360.infobase.com/PortalPlaylists.aspx?wID=272642&contentID=rXN9n1eLZes&channel=Sixty Symbols&chnID=36
COL Information Fluency:
1. What questions did you need to research in order to research your topic?
The first question I researched was my starting one: Are there other universes besides our own? After looking around, I found a website that explained the multiverse theory. As I was reading it, the website mentioned the oscillating universe theory, which I tried to research. I found that it had more to do with only our word, and not the possibilities of other worlds, so I continued to research the multiverse theory. I also noticed a website that explains more theories that could support the multiverse, but they were a little complicated for me to understand, which is why I didn’t explain them in my project. In general, I researched a lot of websites but kept using the three with the most relevant information, which are the ones I sourced in the project.
2. What new or familiar digital tools did you try to use as you worked through this project?
First, I used Destiny Discover. Through that, a couple artices from national geographic came up which I used and sited. Then, I also used Learn 360 for the video. One other thing that I used, was unsplash. It’s a website where people post pictures that others can download and use.
3. First, we had to do a free write of a couple things we were interested. Then, we wrote a question down on a sheet of paper, and passed it around the class so others could write and give feedback. After that, we sat down with a partner and gave each other suggestions on how to change or tweak our question to improve it. Finally, we decided on our question and started researching for our project.
4. I actually used the template that Miss Brandsma provided us, and not the citation tool. That’s because, for the national geographic aritcles, there was no citation tool and I wanted to be consistant. I could have googled a citaion generator, but the information required was relatively simple to access, so it wasn’t a problem.
5. I think I could have started researching sooner. Even though I finished on time, I could have taken more time to look over my information if I had started sooner. Other then that, I think this project went very well.
The following is a reflection based on the health unit within PE 9 for my core compitencies.