Tuesday, January 15th
- Vocabulary 29: exercises Discussion on Thursday
- Go over Colloquialisms and Slang
- Lesson 8: Denotation and Connotation
- Go over Lesson 4 & 5: Suffixes & Homophones
- Peer edit (see checklist on p. 14)
- Good copy due at the end of class
- If you are done: Choose from ‘additional writing activities’
- Reminder: Midterm Thursday, January 31st
Thursday, January 10th
- Go over exercises for Vocabulary 28
- Discussion time-using vocab from any previous weeks, have a casual discussion with a peer. Try to incorporate as many as you can.
- Vocabulary writing: choose your method (sentences, paragraph, mini paragraphs) and use all 10. Please underline vocab words for me.
- Go over Idioms. Colloquialisms & Slang begin
- Peer editing of rough draft (also called first draft)
- Once done, good copy for assessment
Tuesday, January 8th
- Welcome back!
- Vocabulary 28: exercises. Discussion 28 on Thursday
- Grammar Usage: Lesson 6 & 7: Idioms and Colloquialisms & Slang
- Narrative writing: Editing the first draft-had for assessment Thursday
- Editing the Second Draft: pg. 15. Tenses, repetition, etc.
Thursday, December 20th
- Vocabulary 27: Discussion. Please review the topics/words and go for it! See if you can incorporate some from the last 2 weeks.
- Go over exercises for 27: sentence/paragraph creation
- Grammar Usage: Lesson 3-5: Prefixes, Suffixes, Homophones
- Writing: Personal Narratives
Tuesday, December 18th
- Vocabulary 27: read, work on exercises (due for Thursday if not finished in class). Review Thursday’s discussion topics.
- Go over Pronouns: which person?
- Word Origins: Greet and Latin Roots
- Point of View writing: Choose a Situation from pg 9. Find a partner and switch perspectives to reply to the letter.
Thursday, December 13th
- Discussion for Lesson 26 topics-try to find a new partner to converse with tonight! Keep a tally of how many vocab words you used
- Go over exercises for Lesson 26
- 10 words in context-writing
- Using commas with dates and addresses/Pronouns: which person?
- Go over: A. General Understanding, B. Working with Language for “The Pathway to Freedom” Cloze- Life under Slavery
- Writing: Point of View
Tuesday, December 11th
- Vocabulary Discussion Starters: Lesson 25. Please hold onto the green sheet, you can choose 1 or 2 topics, find a partner and send 10-15 on two different topics. See how many vocab words you can successfully use.
- Go over exercises for Lesson 25.
- Lesson 26: We will go over the exercises on Thursday and working on your sentences then also.
- Grammar: Singular & Plural Nouns, commas
- Reading: “The Pathway to Freedom”, an excerpt from the Narrative of Frederick Douglass
Thursday, December 6th
- Welcome to Foundations 7!
- Introductions and important information
- Grammar & Mechanics: Audience and Purpose
- Vocabulary: Lesson 25& exercises: we will be going over these on Tuesday and you will do use the words in sentences or a paragraph. Try to use in your day to day speech over the next week (2-3 a day). We will also be using the weekly words in informal discussioons beginning each Thursday’s class (starting next week)
- Writing Sample Assessment: You will have a choice of topics to suit your interest. This will not be marked as an assignment, but a benchmark to assess your writing level. I will be keeping these samples as required by Continuing Education. Try to keep in mind what you know of sentence structure, grammar & verb tenses, paragraph structure.