( For this project I chose to interview a family friend that turned her hobby into her profession. This is for my ADL 10 class.)
INTERVIEWEE: Diana Hristova
- Designing buildings such as schools, malls or even houses.
- Problem solver and fixes structural conflicts
Why did you chose to interview this individual?
I chose to interview this individual because she is family friend and is a very good at her profession, my passion. I admire how she turned her hobby and passion into her full-time employment, and designs parts of the city with her own little touch to it.
What I learned from the interview and how it connects to my passions/interests:
I learned that you can achieve whatever you want as long as you put your mind to it. You can make everyday obstacles into challenges, so that you can achieve more as an individual. A very important thing I learned is that it is important to start researching about future job when you are young because there are more opportunities. The profession of an architect links all of my talents and interests together such as math and drawing. My dream is to start designing for a big company and create building wit my own special mark!
1. Why are you passionate about your job?
Since I was a child I was interested in building small houses from matchsticks, paper, cardboard. My hobby became my work and I never get bored.
2. What obstacles have you faced to get to where you are today?
I was really motivated and enjoyed what I do therefore I was considering the obstacles as challenges. One obstacle was moving to Canada and learn new standards and familiarize with different Building codes. It actually broadened my knowledge and expanded my experience and most of all was interesting.
3. What advice would you pass on to someone interested in what you are doing?
I would encourage job shadow an architect for a day.
4. Would you be open to further contact from Riverside Students and if so, how can someone contact you?
5. What are some of your biggest projects?
I’ve been working on big projects and have been part of big teams.Some examples are: Metro tower III, Burnaby, YVRExpansion, 66 Levels High-rise in Edmonton, Metropolis mall, Oakridge mall and others
6. What is the most interesting thing about your job?
Creating art integrating functionality, sustainability, livability, using colour and texture, different materials, light, nature….