1. Where was Sam McGee’s hometown?
Sam McGee’s hometown is in Tennessee.
2. Why was Sam traveling in the Arctic?
He was traveling in the Arctic because there was a lot of gold there.
3. What was the last request that Sam made to Cap?
“You’ll cremate my last remains.
Sam’s last request was to be cremated.
4. How did Cap feel about his promise after some time had passed?
Cap felt like he regretted after a while.
5. What happened to Cap’s sled dogs? How did this make things worse for Cap?
The dogs had to be fed and they started to get tired, this turned out bad for him which made the route harder and longer.
6. Why was Cap unable to cremate Sam’s remains in the wilderness?
He couldn’t cremate Sam’s remains because he didn’t have anything to burn.
7. Where did Cap ultimately cremate Sam’s remains?
Cap cremated his remains in a furnace.
8. Hours after placing Sam’s body in the goiler, Cap looked inside. What did he see?
When he looked into the furnace, he saw Sam and he was oddly alive and they started talking to each other.
The Cremation of Sam McGee
Critical Thinking Questions
Complete these questions on your own and in full sentences.
1. You know that theme is the message the author wants you, the reader, to walk away from this poem with. What is the message/theme Robert Service is trying to share with you? Be able to support your theme with evidence from the poem.
I think that the theme of the story is to never give up and to trust your friends, because Cap could’ve died or even not cremated his friend’s body. But he didn’t , and now he had gotten the gold.
2. What does this passage mean to you, “In the days to come, though my lips were dumb, in my heart how I cursed that load!”
This passage means that he is getting fewer days and his lips are numb from the cold.
3. In your opinion, why didn’t Cap go back on his promise? Sam would have never known!
I think Cap did not go back on his promise, because he was his friend.
4. What really happened when Cap opened that boiler? Did he really see the ghost of Sam? Was he hallucinating? What do you think, and why do you think this?
I think he was hallucinating because he hasn’t seen a human in days and he saw his friend.