- Put on safety goggles.
- Heat up 150ml of water in a beaker on a hot plate set to high to 100 °
- Take the initial temperature of the hot water as soon as it poured into the prototype thermos. Record the temperature and quickly place the cap on the thermos.
- Leave the water for 20 minutes and observe any changes in heat on the outside of the thermos.
- Remove cap and record temperature of the water. Calculate final and initial temperature difference and divide by 20 to get temperature loss per minute. (Difference should be around 8.3 ideally.)
- Note any flaws and possible improvements that could be made to the design.
- Make improvements based on the notes and repeat procedure with the next prototype.
- 500mL glass bottle
- 6cm sqr aluminum foil
- 1 sheet of newspaper
- Starbucks plastic cup
Temp Difference: 42.9
-Steam and bubbles condensed on the inside of the glass
-Steam and absorbed heat on the outside plastic bottle shell, causing it to expand
-Tape is starting to detach due to steam
-Cap starting to heat up at 12 min
-Rubber balloon on the cap is starting to expand due to steam
Temp Difference: 26
- Heat coming off the side but top is not hot
- No moisture leaking
Temp Difference: 22
Notes: Slightly warm on the bottom, plastic shell generally good at keeping heat within
Temp Difference: 22
-Slightly warm on the bottom, plastic shell generally good at keeping heat within
- 3D Case
- Glass bottle
- Aluminium foil
There was a loss of 33 degrees after an hour of pouring the water into the Thermos.
Kleaner Kanteen 3D Print
We chose to have 2 main body layers and insulated the in-between as tightly and sealed as possible to lose the least amount of heat while also keeping in consideration a profitable budget and reasonable material, looks and aesthetics of a product an actual consumer would be interested in purchasing. we chose a glass interior due to it having good thermal conductivity and also being able to store water well and show a quality product with a 3D print exterior for a modern look while having good heat insulation. we used a cork seal along with rubber lining to keep in as much heat as we could.