Before we studied Indian Act in class I knew about the outcomes of the residential schools. How they were taken from their homes and taken away from their family. Also I knew how in the government they didn’t have people name but instead they had statics cards with number.
5 ideas I learned about the Indian Act are
- I learned about how being First Nations in that time was a “bad” thing
- That some people didn’t marry for love they married for protection and to get out of being First Nation
- I learned that statics is still going on today ( the system)
- I learned how the alcohol addition had a huge impacted in the Indian Act
- I learned that there still reserves standing today
One question I have is: Is residential school standing today ( not open ) .
I am going to use this information I learned to enhance my understanding. Enhance my understanding and then educate others around.