Prediction: Which fruit will produce the most electric voltage?
a. My prediction is that a lemon will produce the most electric voltage.
b. Because the lemon is the most acidic thing we are testing.
We used an apple, grape, lemon and orange. Also two wires, two galvanized nails and a voltage meter.
Document the results:
Apple 1.5 V
Grape 2 V
Lemon 2.5 V
Orange 2 V
When we did this experiment we had a hard time working with the grape because of the size being so small but everything else was okay.
Here are some pictures of the experiment:
Questions and Conclusions:
My prediction was right the lemon had the most voltage because of the acidity and electrolytes.
1. What kind of circuit will produce electron flow in your fruit/ vegetable cell? A series circuit.
2. If your bulb doesn’t glow, how can you find out if electrons are flowing? You can always use a voltage meter to check the voltage.
3. If your bulb doesn’t glow, why not? If your bulb doesn’t glow it is probably because there is not enough power or electrolyte to make it glow.
4. How can we modify our experiment to improve our results? Use bigger pieces of fruit and acidic fruits.
5. What is causing the electrons to flow in this experiment? The electrolytes and acid.
6. How can I use this in my everyday life? I’d rather stick to just eating my fruits and veggies then use them as electric power, but in theory with enough electrolyte you can try to make a battery out of the fruit.
- Updated comment: While doing this experiment we had no idea how to read voltage meters so our results may be way off or completely wrong either way lemon had the most of any of them.