The Assignment: You will be observing your host throughout the day. There are 3 parts to this assignment:
Part 1- The Interview: Observe your host at work, at some point interview your host and record/make notes of the results
Part 2 – Reflection: After the day is finished, reflect upon your experience and answer the reflection questions
Part 3 – Post Your Assignment to Your Blog: Once you have completed Part 1 and Part 2 post it on your blog. Make sure you take pictures and/or videos to document your day, you can place them in your blog.
Name of your host: Paul Arvisais
Relationship to you: Parent
The Interview: (ask your host these questions)
- What is your job title? Lawyer
- What is your job description? Advising clients on legal issues and managing litigation and other forms of dispute resolution.
- What are the duties and/or tasks you perform at your job? Meeting with clients and witnesses, reviewing evidence and legal documents, reviewing law, providing opinions and advice, presenting evidence at trials and other proceedings and advocacy on behalf of clients.
- What qualifications do you have for this job in the following areas:
- a) training? Passed the bar admission courses of British Columbia and performed a full year of articling, which is a form of apprenticeship.
- b) education? A Doctor of Jurisprudence and a Bachelor of Arts degree.
- c) experience? 20 years practicing as a lawyer.
- d) skills and attributes (personal qualities)? Strong problem-solving skills, strong communication skills, strong interpersonal relationship skills, and an ability to work well in a stressful environment.
- What are some of the things you like about the job? A lot of variety, mentally challenging, meet lots of interesting people.
- What are some of the things you dislike about this job? Very hard work, and long hours, very high stress.
- How do you anticipate this job changing in the next 5 years or so? No foreseeable change.
Other question (s): Why’d you choose this job over others?
A desire to seek justice and affect social change.
Student Reflections: 1. Give three reasons why you would like this job (be specific):
- a) High pay
- b) Lots of variety in what you’re doing
- c) Get to socially interact with others often.
- Give three reasons why you would not like this job (be specific):
- a) Highly stressful
- b) Time consuming
- c) Lots of paperwork
- Is this job for you? Why or why not?
I’m unsure, this job sounds like it is really good, as I’m good at social interaction, but it also is really stressful. I would need to learn how to handle stressful environments more, and then this job would be perfect.
- Explain the value of the TOKTW experience in relation to your ideas about your post secondary (after high school) plans (education?, training?, travel?, work?).
I’ve learnt more about how the law system works, which could save me in the future, and also I learnt that there’s more than one type of lawyer, so if I don’t want to be a prosecutor, I could be a criminal defence lawyer or vice-versa.