Power Technology 10
This course will focus on how our society understands and utilizes power and energy in multiple forms. The big ideas surrounding Power Technology focus on how complex tasks require certain tools and technologies. Also, how social, ethical, and sustainability considerations impact design. In this course we will use a hands-on approach to understand: Simple and complex machines, how energy is used in different forms, the principles of flight, renewable and non-renewable energy sources, bicycle mechanics, and internal combustion engines.
- SAFETY is always the most important factor in education. There will be times when tools/machinery is used and it is crucial to ensure that you are properly instructed when using said tools. Furthermore, we like to ensure that all students feel safe in our classroom. There is no tolerance for physically/emotionally harmful behaviour
- RESPECT is a two way street. Respect the teacher and your peers as you would like to be respected in return
- Projects are the responsibility of the student. I am not responsible for any missed or lost projects.
- EVERY student must participate in clean up. Respect the class you are in. If I don’t see you cleaning I will assign you a cleaning task. Individual clean up duties will be assigned for the semester.
- To get everyone’s attention I will use a countdown method. From 5-1 students should become silent and turn towards me.
- Devices may only be used at appropriate times, or they will be confiscated until the end of class
- Everyone is to try their best. If you are not working to the best of your abilities, the teacher has the right to move you to a more suitable seat in the classroom. Further action may result if there is no improvement.
- Be nice
- Be on time
- Try your best
- Cleanup after yourself and others
- Planning and problem solving
- Creative and critical thinking
- Designing skills
- Understanding of simple and complex machines
- Technical competence
- Glue sticks
Grading will be based on the following three criteria:
- 10% Employability skills
- 20% Assignments
- 20% Quizzes/Tests
- 50% Projects
I can be contacted through email and will usually respond within 24 hours. Parents/guardians play a big role in your education process. They will be contacted within the first week in order to establish a line of communication.